Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
AirPods Pros and AirPods 3rd gen just aren't for me. The new shape.... doesn't work with my ears. That makes me want to buy gen 2 AirPods again, but I wonder what Apple will do in the long term. Maybe they'll keep the 2nd gen design around for those that like that design over the new ones.

Heck, they still sell the iPhone SE with the classic design and they still sell the Apple Watch series 3 as a budget Apple Watch, so why not keep the AirPods 2nd gen around as a budget AirPod?

They could even rename it to AirPods Classic™ and update the case to support MagSafe. That would be pretty cool actually.

Man, I hope they keep this design even if they produce both the AirPods 2 and AirPods 3 for more variety/diversity. Doesn't hurt to sell both of them!

kht410

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2016
I sure hope so. I also prefer the design of AirPods 1/2. They're just so much more comfortable to my ears. I can have them on for hours without any feeling of discomfort.

I just wish Apple can still get the latest tech of the Gen 3/Pro inside the Gen 1/2 design, ie: sweat/water resistance, skin detection sensors, spatial audio, and wireless charging case by default preferably with MagSafe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.