Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoJoe2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
Hi everyone,

I've been on the lookout for a tool to convert my old PostScript fonts to the OTF format, and I stumbled upon FontConverter. It looks pretty promising, and the price is definitely budget-friendly, but before taking the plunge, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has had any experience with it.

If you have, could you share your thoughts? How seamless was the conversion process? Any glitches or issues?

It's mostly for my old fonts that I rarely use, so I don't really want to re-purchase them just to get them in a new format... A lot of them are also from old "font collection" CDs, so not even sure if I could buy them again and where.

JoJoe2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2023
Thanks a lot for the recommendations! I played around with the apps the last couple of days and in the end decided to go with FontConverter. It's not free, but it was the one fitting my use case most and I could easily bulk convert all my fonts at once. And to answer my own question: The conversion did work properly without any glitches 😀

Adobe's Font Development Kit would probably have been an option if I were more familiar with the command line to get it to auto convert all fonts at once. Though I wonder if it would have worked with the really old fonts from classic macos times... Here I had an issue with Fontforge which didn't allow me to open those (they didn't have any file type extension in the name. Adding one manually allowed me to open them, but there were no glyphs found in them)
Birdfont looks really nice and could open the super old fonts, but it asked me to buy a commercial license to export fonts without an "open source" license for the font itself.

Anyway, maybe this helps anyone who is looking for a similar app in the future :)

Reactions: Slartibart
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.