Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Hi all, sorry if this message has already been posted but has anyone tried installing XP SP1 on Bootcamp and then downloading the upgrade to SP2? The version of Windows that I have is SP1 but the Apple website seems to say that only SP2 is supported by BootCamp.

Thanks for any assistance.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
I tried installing with an SP1 disk, and it just plain doesn't work. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
DeadSirius said:
I tried installing with an SP1 disk, and it just plain doesn't work. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
I'm with Sirius. I bought XP Pro and the disc was bad, so I tried an SP1 version and it was bad news. Disc got stuck in the mini and all, just an overall bad experience. I had to burn a copy of my legit disc in order for Windows to install, go figure. :rolleyes:

Anyway, get a copy of SP2 or use Osarkon's suggestion.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
There seems to a be a problem in the way SP1 handles the partition tables which might cause it to corrupt OSX's partition table information. Oh, and unless you have the SP2 update in a CD/DVD you're not going to be able to install the drivers that came with bootcamp nor will you be able to set the default operating system to boot up.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
for some reason, after you load XP (without any SP, or with SP1), you can't upgrade to SP2 with disk or downloaded file... it kept on saying you are short by 4MB on disk space or something..

i dont understand why that happened, and it has happened to more than just me for me to believe it's my problem

i loaded XP onto Vaio before and upgraded to SP2 with no problem, but somehow via bootcamp on mac it doesn't work...

slipstream worked well tho, try that

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
bearbo said:
i loaded XP onto Vaio before and upgraded to SP2 with no problem, but somehow via bootcamp on mac it doesn't work...
Most likely something to do with the non-standard (i.e. non-XP standard) partition table and "BIOS" Boot Camp presents. SP2 "gets it", but SP1 doesn't.

B

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
nutman said:
you need sp2 for bluetooth.

You need SP2 for SATA drives which all Intel Macs have. You might try unhooking the PATA Optical drives and try that with a PATA HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.