Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
wow. those graphics look bad. they should update them, just like Atari did with their missile command game.

well, this is one developer who will definitely benefit from people not being able to review the game without buying it first

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
Looks almost exactly like Dungeon Master, an old Amiga/AtariST computer game, maybe a bit of old-school Bard's Tale for good measure. Unfortunately for us, the interface and graphics were designed to fit the confines of 160x160 pixels at 256 colors (the limits of the old Palm devices). It was easy for the dev to double the size of every pixel and leave everything else alone, but it makes for an ugly interface :(

Thanks for pointing it out, I may try it anyway for the retro factor!

chrisb3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
there's just one fuzzy screenshot of the game in the app store. here's the link:

https://www.macrumors.com/link/http...MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291878202&mt=8

$4.99 game. i might just buy it to try it however wondering if anyone tried this game on pocket pc or palm since the iphone version is just a port. it looks like the ultima rpg game from way back in the day.

It was a good game when I had it on my old PalmOS/WM devices. Like CommanderData said, it's more of a port of Dungoen Master than Ultima.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
No thanks. I was very disappointed with Vay, and don't feel like shelling out money for yet another lackluster "port."

I'd much rather wait and spend even more money on a quality made-for-iPhone RPG....if they ever get made. Devs, are you listening?

chrisb3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe port wasn't the right word. 'Based on' would have been better.

If you like old style first person dungeon crawls, you'll probably enjoy it.

cjoshuav

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
Depending on the content, that looks like a blast. I so miss the old Bard's Tale games.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Maybe port wasn't the right word. 'Based on' would have been better.

If you like old style first person dungeon crawls, you'll probably enjoy it.

Eh? Looks like an *exact* port. The graphics don't look any different at all from the low-res Palm version.

chrisb3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Eh? Looks like an *exact* port. The graphics don't look any different at all from the low-res Palm version.

Oh make no bones about it, it is a direct port of Dragon Bane II from the Palm/WM platforms.

What I was trying to say was, that saying it's a port of the old Dungeon Master game is a poor choice of words. It's more a game in the style of DM or even the first couple of Wizardry games.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Well, I found the trial version of the Pocket PC version (the 'official site' just had the Palm trial and I'm not using my Tungsten C right now), and am installnig it ... I love this sort of thing and am interested to see if it is worth even $5. I thought Vay was a freakin' bargain at $5 - compare that to the $30 each shovelware ports of Final Fantasy I & II for PSP last year?!?

I just *really* wish that the App Store offered trials ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.