Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
**Just read my post and realized I probably didn't need to type out all this explanation just to ask a question, but oh well. ;-p

I have an iMac that I purchased last year to work from home for my job, and also to do photo books through Shutterfly because I can't customize them from an iPad. It'll make a book, but not let me add more than a single photo to a page, nor arrange them how I'd like on a page. Prior to purchasing the iMac, I had been iPad only for several years.

I no longer need the iMac for work, so basically now I use it for typing personal documents in Pages, reading forums, etc. My goal is to go back to iPad as my main device at some point for minimizing purposes. One reason is because I just don't have a need for a computer taking up space (and I'm not really a fan of laptops). Another reason is because where we are we have really iffy internet, and I do like having a computing device that can get cellular signal.

The only thing holding me back at this point is the photo books.

Does anyone have or know of an app that allows them to make custom photo books?

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
**Just read my post and realized I probably didn't need to type out all this explanation just to ask a question, but oh well. ;-p

I have an iMac that I purchased last year to work from home for my job, and also to do photo books through Shutterfly because I can't customize them from an iPad. It'll make a book, but not let me add more than a single photo to a page, nor arrange them how I'd like on a page. Prior to purchasing the iMac, I had been iPad only for several years.

I no longer need the iMac for work, so basically now I use it for typing personal documents in Pages, reading forums, etc. My goal is to go back to iPad as my main device at some point for minimizing purposes. One reason is because I just don't have a need for a computer taking up space (and I'm not really a fan of laptops). Another reason is because where we are we have really iffy internet, and I do like having a computing device that can get cellular signal.

Unfortunately, I have not really understood your application request.
If you want to create a multimedia book (pictures, interactive animated transitions and movies) you can do it very easily and professionally with Apple's 'iBooks Author'. Have you tried this?

Maybe your iMac will be happy about that... I hope I helped you.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Unfortunately, I have not really understood your application request.
If you want to create a multimedia book (pictures, interactive animated transitions and movies) you can do it very easily and professionally with Apple's 'iBooks Author'. Have you tried this?

Maybe your iMac will be happy about that... I hope I helped you.

Not the same type of book. I am wanting to do customizable photo books, like a Shutterfly-type photo book, but with an app on an iPad.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Not the same type of book. I am wanting to do customizable photo books, like a Shutterfly-type photo book, but with an app on an iPad.
I've never heard of Shutterfly. Are you printing this book? You can also do that with the PDF export of the highly customizable iBook format. Of course without film and animation ;-)
Unfortunately, the iPad is a bit difficult for graphic design (I'm a big friend of iPads, but I still need a Mac computer for graphic work). It's much easier for me to handle. But of course, everyone has their own experiences...

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I've never heard of Shutterfly. Are you printing this book? You can also do that with the PDF export of highly customizable iBook format.
Unfortunately, the iPad is a bit difficult for graphic design (I'm a big friend of iPads, but I still need a Mac computer for graphic work). It's much easier for me to handle.

This is not for graphic design. It is strictly for photographs. Shutterfly is a website where you can order photo prints, make books, photo gifts, etc. Unfortunately, their app won't let me customize books and arrange the photos how I'd like.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I regularly put photo books in print years ago. At that time Apple still had a printing service, I don't think that's possible today (I don't know, I'm not up to date anymore). It has given me/us a lot of pleasure...
I found most photo book providers on the Internet infinitely exhausting, I only got crap out of it, so I switched to iBooks Author at that time. Unfortunately I cannot give you a better tip. I wish you & your cats+goat (nice) good luck!

update: Shutterfly actually does not accept PDF upload. Is 'down south' UK or US?
But book printers on the Internet can be found WW endlessly, who also accept PDFs and also offer wonderful books (e.g. linen covers with embossing).

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
This is not for graphic design. It is strictly for photographs. Shutterfly is a website where you can order photo prints, make books, photo gifts, etc. Unfortunately, their app won't let me customize books and arrange the photos how I'd like.
You have been looking for a solution for quite some time now so you can rid yourself of your iMac and get back to being iPad only. Unfortunately it seems there is no app which will do exactly what you want or think it should do. That is not great but perhaps you have now reached the point where you must make a decision:

1. Stop making these photo books and sell your iMac and go all iPad

2. Continue making the photo books with Shutterfly knowing that you must keep your iMac

3. Find an acceptable way of doing what you want with these photos that is not Shutterfly and does not require an iMac

If options 1 and 3 are not to your liking, keep the iMac. You have already bought it, I assume you are not short of space (not living in a small apartment) and can manage financially without the revenue of the sale of the iMac.

It seems to be an internal battle of wanting to minimise vs. keep doing a hobby which requires an iMac. Understandable but time to make a decision?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
You have been looking for a solution for quite some time now so you can rid yourself of your iMac and get back to being iPad only. Unfortunately it seems there is no app which will do exactly what you want or think it should do. That is not great but perhaps you have now reached the point where you must make a decision:

1. Stop making these photo books and sell your iMac and go all iPad

2. Continue making the photo books with Shutterfly knowing that you must keep your iMac

3. Find an acceptable way of doing what you want with these photos that is not Shutterfly and does not require an iMac

If options 1 and 3 are not to your liking, keep the iMac. You have already bought it, I assume you are not short of space (not living in a small apartment) and can manage financially without the revenue of the sale of the iMac.

It seems to be an internal battle of wanting to minimise vs. keep doing a hobby which requires an iMac. Understandable but time to make a decision?

Well, that's why I was asking if anyone knew of apps that would do this sort of thing. I'm certainly not hung up on having to use Shutterfly.

Apps change all the time, and I was hoping someone might know of something I don't, or I may have missed, or possibly someone just has a suggestion for another way to do this that I haven't considered.

And though I'm not short on space, I do have reasons why the portability of an iPad for my main device would be helpful.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Well, that's why I was asking if anyone knew of apps that would do this sort of thing. I'm certainly not hung up on having to use Shutterfly.

Apps change all the time, and I was hoping someone might know of something I don't, or I may have missed, or possibly someone just has a suggestion for another way to do this that I haven't considered.

And though I'm not short on space, I do have reasons why the portability of an iPad for my main device would be helpful.
Are you a member of any forums for photo book enthusiasts? Not a forum hosted by Shutterfly as it would likely delete posts by people looking for alternative services. Possibly better to look for informed people on those forums than Macrumors. Look on Reddit etc. You never know where good information lies. Best of luck.

Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Are you a member of any forums for photo book enthusiasts? Not a forum hosted by Shutterfly as it would likely delete posts by people looking for alternative services. Possibly better to look for informed people on those forums than Macrumors. Look on Reddit etc. You never know where good information lies. Best of luck.

Well I'm not because it's not REALLY a hobby - just wanting to get some of the grandkids' photos from the last few years in books because I just know I won't ever do anything with all these digital pics if not. Once it's all done and caught up, I can easily maintain by doing books regularly. It's just this backlog of pics I'm dealing with.

The other issue is, my internet is such that uploading a bunch of pics is gonna be a problem. It's a lot easier to go somewhere with an iPad and upload pics to a website to work from than it is to take an iMac.

I just need some alternative ideas, but you're right - maybe looking elsewhere would bring me a broader base of people doing this sort of thing.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Well I'm not because it's not REALLY a hobby - just wanting to get some of the grandkids' photos from the last few years in books because I just know I won't ever do anything with all these digital pics if not. Once it's all done and caught up, I can easily maintain by doing books regularly. It's just this backlog of pics I'm dealing with.

The other issue is, my internet is such that uploading a bunch of pics is gonna be a problem. It's a lot easier to go somewhere with an iPad and upload pics to a website to work from than it is to take an iMac.

I just need some alternative ideas, but you're right - maybe looking elsewhere would bring me a broader base of people doing this sort of thing.
Some people are now realising that these millions of digital photos may never be looked at by future generations (either due to lack of interest, technology becoming outdated and it not being possible to access the photos, or just being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of photos. So, they are choosing the best of their libraries (real keepers) and having them printed/conveted to real hard copy photos and putting them in hard copy old fashioned albums. This can be done manually at home or professionally.

I think we (including myself) get obsessed with digital storage, files, backups etc. and sometimes lose touch with the reason for these photos: Special memories. A few good photos will do the trick. Once we are gone, it doesn't matter anyway.

Not to get morbid, but my mother and father died in the past four years. I sometimes wonder if I should have taken videos of them with sound recording to play back at times. But I never did and feel content with photos and their voices in my head. If I get to the stage where my mind is not capable of bringing these memories of voices to the surface, so be it. Dreams and other cosmic things will conjure up interesting memories.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Some people are now realising that these millions of digital photos may never be looked at by future generations (either due to lack of interest, technology becoming outdated and it not being possible to access the photos, or just being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of photos. So, they are choosing the best of their libraries (real keepers) and having them printed/conveted to real hard copy photos and putting them in hard copy old fashioned albums. This can be done manually at home or professionally.

I think we (including myself) get obsessed with digital storage, files, backups etc. and sometimes lose touch with the reason for these photos: Special memories. A few good photos will do the trick. Once we are gone, it doesn't matter anyway.

Not to get morbid, but my mother and father died in the past four years. I sometimes wonder if I should have taken videos of them with sound recording to play back at times. But I never did and feel content with photos and their voices in my head. If I get to the stage where my mind is not capable of bringing these memories of voices to the surface, so be it. Dreams and other cosmic things will conjure up interesting memories.

I am definitely of this mindset. That's why I'm trying to do this. I know I'll never look at thousands of photos stuck on a drive somewhere, but I'll flip through a book for sure. And yeah, printing prints is great, but then you have to purchase the albums to put them in and they're usually bulkier, harder to store, whereas a little 8x8 book is easily picked up and flipped through.

I'm paring down pics to my faves and that's all I'm planning to put in the books, although I have done some for the grandkids from Disney trips and stuff like that.

I'm definitely wanting it to be simple, but I like arranging them myself since a lot of the automatic ones will only put a single photo per page, so if you want 100 photos in a book, you wind up with a ridiculously thick (and expensive) book.

After I get all this done I need to figure out a way to store video...
[automerge]1589745892[/automerge]
Are you using the Shutterfly website or the Shutterfly iPad app?

I've used the website because the app doesn't allow you to customize pages, unless I am missing something. I have a LOT of photos and projects already uploaded into there, so if their app would let me do it, that would be my ideal.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I am definitely of this mindset. That's why I'm trying to do this. I know I'll never look at thousands of photos stuck on a drive somewhere, but I'll flip through a book for sure. And yeah, printing prints is great, but then you have to purchase the albums to put them in and they're usually bulkier, harder to store, whereas a little 8x8 book is easily picked up and flipped through.

I'm paring down pics to my faves and that's all I'm planning to put in the books, although I have done some for the grandkids from Disney trips and stuff like that.

I'm definitely wanting it to be simple, but I like arranging them myself since a lot of the automatic ones will only put a single photo per page, so if you want 100 photos in a book, you wind up with a ridiculously thick (and expensive) book.

After I get all this done I need to figure out a way to store video...
[automerge]1589745892[/automerge]

I've used the website because the app doesn't allow you to customize pages, unless I am missing something. I have a LOT of photos and projects already uploaded into there, so if their app would let me do it, that would be my ideal.
I see your point but why are you taking on the production of these books and storing of video as your sole responsibility?

JavaJones

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
USA
A good photo book/digital scrapbooking option for the iPad is the Project Life app, developed by a paper scrapbooking company. You can purchase decorative/themed digital “paper” packs, write/journal, etc. There are several layout types for using multiple photos, different sized albums. You can make your layouts/photo books as simple or decorative as you liKe. Lots of YT videos review the app and give tutorials, tips.

Another option is Blurb, originally a computer software program and photo book service, very versatile for creating either personal or professional photo books with text. They have an app but I haven’t tried it yet and not sure if the app is as good as the computer software, but worth a look.

I had not heard of Motif, I will give it a look, thanks!! :)

Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
A good photo book/digital scrapbooking option for the iPad is the Project Life app, developed by a paper scrapbooking company. You can purchase decorative/themed digital “paper” packs, write/journal, etc. There are several layout types for using multiple photos, different sized albums. You can make your layouts/photo books as simple or decorative as you liKe. Lots of YT videos review the app and give tutorials, tips.

Another option is Blurb, originally a computer software program and photo book service, very versatile for creating either personal or professional photo books with text. They have an app but I haven’t tried it yet and not sure if the app is as good as the computer software, but worth a look.

I had not heard of Motif, I will give it a look, thanks!! :)

Awesome! I’ll give these a look!

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
Awesome! I’ll give these a look!
Hi, this might be a long shot but did you ever find any good workarounds/substitutes for Shutterfly? My wife does EXACTLY the same thing you do for an annual photo album of our family. She has almost the exact same frustrations with you for the SF app.

Thank you in advance.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Hi, this might be a long shot but did you ever find any good workarounds/substitutes for Shutterfly? My wife does EXACTLY the same thing you do for an annual photo album of our family. She has almost the exact same frustrations with you for the SF app.

Thank you in advance.
Motif does seem to be more customizable, but I’ve never really had a chance to actually do a book on it. Shutterfly seems to have a few more options than they used to, but I still haven’t made a complete book on there either. It’s definitely not as customizable as the regular site.

birera

Suspended
Mar 13, 2023

I've tried Snapfish and the photos in the books were blurred. Then tried Shutterfly which had photos with better focus, but the pictures are too dark/too contrasty. This has happened for several books over a few years. I could create special files to upload to Shutterfly where I brighten them and reduce the contrast but that's a pain. So can anyone recommend a good photo book company? At this point, cost is not a factor because I want a product that does justice to my photos.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I've tried Snapfish and the photos in the books were blurred. Then tried Shutterfly which had photos with better focus, but the pictures are too dark/too contrasty. This has happened for several books over a few years. I could create special files to upload to Shutterfly where I brighten them and reduce the contrast but that's a pain. So can anyone recommend a good photo book company? At this point, cost is not a factor because I want a product that does justice to my photos.

A family member recently did a photo book through Forever (https://www.forever.com/create-and-print) and it came out really well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.