Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Hi all!

Looking for some tips on using my synology DS220j for Time Machine (reliably)...

History: Set it up a couple years back originally. Got 2 x 6TB drives in in RAID (whichever the non-striped, most-safe redundancy RAID). So total available storage of 6TB. I partitioned it into a 2TB + 4TB partition. Plan was 4TB Time Machine Backup and the other 2TB for some movies and general stuff I don't need on my MacBook (movies n stuff).

Seemed to work ok for a month or so. Then I could no longer get any sense out of TM and it seemed unable to connect to the backups (even though it could physically see the drive when I logged in and the other partition just appeared normally as a network drive). I deleted the whole backup and did it again since it was a relatively new Mac and my old mac still had pretty recent copy of stuff. Seemed ok another few months, then the same thing happened. Since then I've been tempted to wipe the whole thing and start fresh. But I've been short of other space to move/do anything with it, so had no backups for over a year (apart from a few dumps of critical stuff). So, now I have got another spare external drive, I was going to wipe the whole thing and start again finally...

So, who here uses one for TM? Is it consistently reliable? Any tips? There's various articles of varying dates/sources with varying info on what's best. So any particular guides you've used recently and seem reliable? What drive formats/partition types/anything else did you use? SMB sharing? Did you encrypt things?

Or the other obvious question: any ideas why it stopped working? Any ideas to just make it find and work again with the TM backups already there? What's gone wrong (twice)? Is this a TM issue I need to fix some other way and not related to my NAS? Or should I wipe it anyway and start afresh (which is back to the original question of how did you set yours up from new)...

Tips/tricks and pointers to online guides much appreciated. But please don't just send me the first google hit you found as I can just do that, I've previously made it work for a month or so, so don't just want to follow an "untested" generic set of instructions people here don't actually use and my TM backups will stop again after a month)

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.