Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I am thinking of ordering the lacie slim dvd burner

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10186

I know it isn't as fast as a desktop model, but I want to be able to take it with me, and I know my next mac will have a superdrive, so I wouldnt need an external burner. Right now I am using the superdrive on my G4 powermac. I am curious as to how much slower or faster the lacie slim is?

Advice is appreciated!

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Wow, looks great. Price is a little higher than I'd like, but . . . looks great.

I have a LaCie DVD burner -- but last year's model: single layer, 8X, etc.

Verdict: A+. Don't worry about 16X versus 8X. We're all getting spoiled by the speed. My LaCie CD burner is too fast! I can't even go out and grab a drink and the damn thing is done.

Also: one bad DVD burn in a year's time. Can't complain about that. (It was probably my computer's fault anyway.)

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
I've been looking at the lacie dvd burners and external HDs as well. Really like the F.A. Porsche design too. But alas, I've not yet taken the plunge. If you do, can you post a snippet about its performance? Thanks.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
well i ordered it, and of course they send me the confimation email saying thank you for your order...and it's backodered until march !

Couldn't they tell me that before i ordered the thing!!! grrrrrr

ah well...ill update you whenever i get it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.