Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
T-Mobile also has one, but it looks like the company just released one of these overpriced gadgets for AT&T. It's not like the traditional microcell. It takes your weak signal and cleans it, and then amplifies it, giving you much better reception throughout your home.

Was just wondering if anyone has used one on AT&T yet. If so, can you comment on how well it works?

http://cel-fi.com/product/cel-fi-signal-booster-for-att

xmaseve

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
No, but reading the information available about the device, it looks like it only supports 3G and 4G, not 4G LTE. I think this will be an issue as AT&T starts the move to VoLTE.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
That thing is super pricey. Rather than try to boost a weak signal why not switch to another carrier that might provide better service?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
That thing is super pricey. Rather than try to boost a weak signal why not switch to another carrier that might provide better service?

Totally agree. It would be one thing if it was free, or I only had to pay for the device, but to charge me for the hardware and a monthly service fee on top of me already paying for my internet? Not thank you please!

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah the price is absolutely ridiculous. I even e-mailed them asking why? They responded by saying:

Yep, and it works after just plugging it in. There are seemingly less expensive solutions out there but they require costly or time consuming installs with little gains against claims. We cover the whole house and can offer this guaranty for a reason. It's a good solid product that solves the problem. Consider what we pay for cell service annually, against not being able to use our phones as we'd like at home....

With a $575 price tag, one could just buy out of their contract, maybe even twice lol.

I just wanted to know how well the machine actually works from actual people, not a guy trying to sell his product.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Yeah the price is absolutely ridiculous. I even e-mailed them asking why? They responded by saying:

Yep, and it works after just plugging it in. There are seemingly less expensive solutions out there but they require costly or time consuming installs with little gains against claims. We cover the whole house and can offer this guaranty for a reason. It's a good solid product that solves the problem. Consider what we pay for cell service annually, against not being able to use our phones as we'd like at home....

With a $575 price tag, one could just buy out of their contract, maybe even twice lol.

I just wanted to know how well the machine actually works from actual people, not a guy trying to sell his product.

Since it's pretty much an upgraded version of their microcell, I assume it will work as stated. My parents have a microcell and it does the job well.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Since it's pretty much an upgraded version of their microcell, I assume it will work as stated. My parents have a microcell and it does the job well.

This device is not a micro-cell. It doesn't require any internet connection. You just plug it in and it takes the signal you currently receive and amplifies it and cleans it, then redistributes it.

My experience with the micocell has been awful. The device drops more calls then the actual tower did.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012

Back in the days where I had verizon, I did not get coverage inside my home and my office but everywhere else I got perfect coverage vs the other carriers. I got a network extender for both locations and was very happy

I switched to AT&T for other reasons (crappy LTE service in NYC) but if Verizon's LTE service actually worked, I would have still continued my service with them

That might be the reason that someone would want to stick with their carrier

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
...My experience with the micocell has been awful. The device drops more calls then the actual tower did.
I may be wrong, but I think you're in the minority there. I know quite a few people with MicroCells and they are all very satisfied with the product. Maybe your home internet connection was dropping out and causing your dropped calls.
Back in the days where I had verizon, I did not get coverage inside my home and my office but everywhere else I got perfect coverage vs the other carriers. I got a network extender for both locations and was very happy

I switched to AT&T for other reasons (crappy LTE service in NYC) but if Verizon's LTE service actually worked, I would have still continued my service with them

That might be the reason that someone would want to stick with their carrier
Or because, regardless of the carrier, decent cell phone reception is not achievable at their house. We live up against the foothills and nobody can get reception at our house. My family all has Verizon and no reception. My wife's family all has T-Mobile and no reception either. Switching to another carrier would do absolutely nothing. At least AT&T provides us with a free MicroCell.

The thing about a MicroCell over this device is that a MicroCell can create a signal where no signal exists. Also, a MicroCell does not cost nearly $600. We pay absolutely nothing for our MicroCell.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Totally agree. It would be one thing if it was free, or I only had to pay for the device, but to charge me for the hardware and a monthly service fee on top of me already paying for my internet? Not thank you please!

Am I missing something? I looked and couldn't find where a new monthly service fee applies. It is indeed pricy, but I don't think a monthly service fee is required.

I have a microcell, and it works okay. I often have to call 2 or 3 times before outgoing calls will work. Inbound calls work 99% of the time without issue. It is definitely worth it.

It this this thing were around the $199 range, i buy one today and get rid of the microcell however. Thanks OP, I didn't even know this was out there.

laurent.gil

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
I may be wrong, but I think you're in the minority there. I know quite a few people with MicroCells and they are all very satisfied with the product. Maybe your home internet connection was dropping out and causing your dropped calls.

Full disclosure: i work for Cel-Fi. I decided to reply your post because I was very interested to get your feedback on our new product - thanks for all your inputs.

About MicroCells: I think the main issue is more a stable Internet connection - our experience has been that Cel-Fi is very useful in cases where Internet cannot be installed reliably (ie not from Wi-Fi, or with low latency) in the places where you need most your cell phone. Many times, our clients are telling us that MicroCell was not a solution because of installation issues (think cabling, ISP) to get Internet in a specific place (this is mostly for our business customers). Of course, this comes from our customers - so there is a bias in our favor :)

Yes, Cel-Fi is expensive - we are the first ones to say it - but that's because we could not be happy with any other technology that produced unreliable boosters. We use very different technologies than any signal booster - Cel-Fi is made of a custom made multi-core ARM processor with lots of DSPs. The result is a very clean, clear and strong re-broadcasted signal from AT&T and T-Mobile.

I am really happy to hear your comments / critics about it - thanks for your posts!

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Full disclosure: i work for Cel-Fi. I decided to reply your post because I was very interested to get your feedback on our new product - thanks for all your inputs.

About MicroCells: I think the main issue is more a stable Internet connection - our experience has been that Cel-Fi is very useful in cases where Internet cannot be installed reliably (ie not from Wi-Fi, or with low latency) in the places where you need most your cell phone. Many times, our clients are telling us that MicroCell was not a solution because of installation issues (think cabling, ISP) to get Internet in a specific place (this is mostly for our business customers). Of course, this comes from our customers - so there is a bias in our favor :)

Yes, Cel-Fi is expensive - we are the first ones to say it - but that's because we could not be happy with any other technology that produced unreliable boosters. We use very different technologies than any signal booster - Cel-Fi is made of a custom made multi-core ARM processor with lots of DSPs. The result is a very clean, clear and strong re-broadcasted signal from AT&T and T-Mobile.

I am really happy to hear your comments / critics about it - thanks for your posts!

Long time MicroCell user with AT&T. Not real happy with the MicroCell.

I just ordered your device with expedited shipping. If it works it will be worth the money for me. I will return to this forum and let everyone know.

Last edited:

xmaseve

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007

As I mentioned above, it looks like the Cel-Fi only extends 3G and 4G, not LTE. Am I correct that the Cel-Fi will not support 700MHz LTE?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.