Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
If you use Windows at work, they might be a royal pain in the a$$.. I use my gen 3's for work, but at random times during the day, they stop outputting sound and the mic stops working even though they still show as connected. Missed a few calls in the last couple weeks because of it. Usually you can put em back in the case for a bit and reconnect them but this week all of a sudden they dont want to play nicely at all anymore. Had to go back to our crappy work issued Plantronics headset. The AirPods now just sit in a loop connecting/disconnecting over and over again. The weird part is, if I remove them and try to repair them, once the Windows machine pairs with them, the light on the case stays blinking white. Not sure if thats because of their new firmware update or not, haven't updated anything in Windows for about a month now. Could be my iPhone messing with them, but it all worked fine up until this past Tuesday/Wednesday.

Oddly - I just repaired them to my Mac mini, and instead of just being called 'My AirPods' now its 'My AirPods-Find My'??

jprmercado

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I’ve been using my AirPods Max with Webex for work calls, and they’ve been working great! No one’s ever complained about my audio, both in terms of voice quality and background noise.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
-

I've settled on the Aftershokz (might just be Shokz now) OpenComm UC headset (UC means it come with it's own bluetooth USB dongle)

I tried my AirPods Pro for a few months. I did so because the one-ear chinatooth headset was weird having one ear closed and the other one open.
I ended up having to alternate pods due to battery life, one for the morning, one for the afternoon lol and this left me with the same one-ear issue as before.

But I kept looking because the Mac Mini BT seems to only be able to handle an Apple BT Trackpad and Apple BT keyboard lol

I tried an on-ear Jabra Evolve 75 headset (came with it's own BT dongle). Worked well and had nice features. But it was on-ear and if I'm going there then I've finally admitted to myself that if it isn't an in-ear set then it needs to be an Over-ear set. Also it had a one day battery so it had to be plugged into that stupid MicroUSB connecter every night. (I didn't get the charging base which may have turned this into a non-issue). Also it tended to slip off my head if I got up (bathroom, etc), a consequence of comfort over grip, which is unavoidable really.

The Shokz headset is dual-but-open ear because of it's bone conduction design. The around-the-back-of-the-head loop design holds the headset firm to the head. The Jabra mic was better than the cheap chinatooth headset and better than the AirPods. The Shokz is better than the Jabra.

MOST important .... you feel like an astronaut when wearing the Shokz :D

-

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Oddly - I just repaired them to my Mac mini, and instead of just being called 'My AirPods' now its 'My AirPods-Find My'??
Yes! My AirPods Max did the same thing for a while. They would appear that way in the other user account on my Mac (different Apple ID). I was able to select them and use them for work calls and stuff. Then, later on they stopped appearing at all in the other user account. I would love to get the "find my" thing to work again but I just can't.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Yes! My AirPods Max did the same thing for a while. They would appear that way in the other user account on my Mac (different Apple ID). I was able to select them and use them for work calls and stuff. Then, later on they stopped appearing at all in the other user account. I would love to get the "find my" thing to work again but I just can't.

And go figure today for some reason they're working perfectly fine with my Lenovo laptop for work. I went through the whole dance on Friday or removing them from both my Mac Mini and iPhone, repairing them all over, etc. I spent the first couple hours taking calls with the Plantronics and decided to try the Airpods and lo and behold today they paired right up just fine. I wonder if its the crappy Bluetooth in the Lenovo. I notice once in awhile after pairing the Airpods, my Logitech keyboard and mouse kinda crap out for a second. Im using the MX Anywhere setup and have the keyboard and mouse paired to my Mac and the work laptop, and just switch between the two when I have to 'clock in'.

Reactions: ignatius345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.