Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I have an iMac 5k late 2015 with a 1TB SSD onboard. I have two OWC Thunderbay 4's (one is 16TB and where I store all data and one is 20TB and it's used as the target for backups, currently only using TM).

I also have everything backed up through Crashplan in the cloud and every six months I move that window of data to an external drive and store in an old bank safe.

What would be the best way to use CCC and TM together or would you suggest a different plan?

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I use the same regimen, but with Backblaze instead of Crashplan. Regular automatic TM and manual CCC before updating the OS or larger apps. That's enough for me, although you can of course automate the CCC backup top. But I use it mostly so I have a bootable backup in case anything goes south with my regular installation.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I use the same regimen, but with Backblaze instead of Crashplan. Regular automatic TM and manual CCC before updating the OS or larger apps. That's enough for me, although you can of course automate the CCC backup top. But I use it mostly so I have a bootable backup in case anything goes south with my regular installation.

Thanks. In my case, would you clone the iMac to the 20TB as well as the 16TB to the 20TB?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
For those using CCC to backup/clone multiple drives, do you simply have it replicating the file structure? For example, on my 16TB primary drive I have about 8 folders that then contain all of my data. For my iMac, the folder structure is much larger (10-20 I'd guess). When CCC backs everything up to my 20TB it just puts all of the main folders under the root of the 20TB. Are you creating a folder on your destination drive so you can keep them separated? Any downsides to that?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
For those using CCC to backup/clone multiple drives, do you simply have it replicating the file structure? For example, on my 16TB primary drive I have about 8 folders that then contain all of my data. For my iMac, the folder structure is much larger (10-20 I'd guess). When CCC backs everything up to my 20TB it just puts all of the main folders under the root of the 20TB. Are you creating a folder on your destination drive so you can keep them separated? Any downsides to that?

I always go with a separate partition for the OS being cloned that way you have nice self contained bootable partition if ever needed. Letting it dump everything to the root just seems too messy for my taste in backups. I go with separate internal drive that gets cloned every day at 6:15am by CCC, then I have my TM volume that is updated every hour and external boot drive that gets done about once a week when I power it up that also has spare TM volume on it as well that gets done at same time as the CCC backup that is done. And that does not count my two other machines that I clone my main OS onto every week or two so I have spare machine(s) laying around if my main ever dies. Again that does not count my three machines I have that actually backup my many TBs of data they are backed up weekly with any new data I have accumulated I want saved.

lint2015

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
Using TM and CCC currently.

TM backing up automatically as per usual, but excluding Parallels VM.
CCC manually backing up weekly or close to it.

I also perform both a TM and CCC backup before system updates because those have resulted in unusable systems on several occasions in the last two years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.