Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
Hello,

I've just got a 2015 MacBook Air 13" to do my tasks on the go. I went with this model because it's still capable of doing basic stuff and easier to repair and also I already have an iMac at home.
I bought this MB Air as second hand and the previous owner gave it with a 85w magsafe 2 charger which is quite bulky and actually for 15" Pro models. Also, it's in bad condition. I need to have the cable changed or get another charger.
So, I'm looking for a smaller solution. Any of you using those smaller GaN chargers? If so which one? I'll need to get a usb C to magsafe 2 cable also.

I've found this 45w Samsung charger but don't know if it will compatible; Samsung EP-TA845

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Hello,

I've just got a 2015 MacBook Air 13" to do my tasks on the go. I went with this model because it's still capable of doing basic stuff and easier to repair and also I already have an iMac at home.
I bought this MB Air as second hand and the previous owner gave it with a 85w magsafe 2 charger which is quite bulky and actually for 15" Pro models. Also, it's in bad condition. I need to have the cable changed or get another charger.
So, I'm looking for a smaller solution. Any of you using those smaller GaN chargers? If so which one? I'll need to get a usb C to magsafe 2 cable also.

I've found this 45w Samsung charger but don't know if it will compatible; Samsung EP-TA845
I use lots of gan chargers. Rav and hyperjuice, mainly. I like the hyper juice because it’s smaller than apple’s 85w charger but can charge my MBP and iPad Pro at full speed and still has juice to charge my iphone and Apple Watch at full speed. Great for travel and for setting up around the house in places where people often want to charge.

Also going to back this on kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/1220198582?ref=5mqank&token=4671cda8

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Hello,

If I were you, I'd spend the money and get the genuine Apple 45w charger that came with it.. The Mac communicates with the charger and if that communication isn't right, you can have weird issues, or cause damage. Ask Louis Rossman.. I bought mine used, and the girl had taken pretty good care of it. The cord is slightly yellowed, but still in good shape. I would never use a non-Apple charger for a MacBook if I were you..

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
If I were you, I'd spend the money and get the genuine Apple 45w charger that came with it.. The Mac communicates with the charger and if that communication isn't right, you can have weird issues, or cause damage. Ask Louis Rossman.. I bought mine used, and the girl had taken pretty good care of it. The cord is slightly yellowed, but still in good shape. I would never use a non-Apple charger for a MacBook if I were you..

This is paranoid advice. Yes, there are many bad manufacturers out there. But ravpower, anker, Sanho/hyper, etc. are all very legitimate manufacturers. As are dell, etc. And the “communication” isn’t an issue nowadays - this isn’t MagSafe, it’s usb-c, with well understood protocols.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
This is paranoid advice. Yes, there are many bad manufacturers out there. But ravpower, anker, Sanho/hyper, etc. are all very legitimate manufacturers. As are dell, etc. And the “communication” isn’t an issue nowadays - this isn’t MagSafe, it’s usb-c, with well understood protocols.
Well, call me paranoid..but OP has 2015 MBA, same as mine.. MagSafe2, not USBC.. I would use original only..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.