Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouE37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I have an original iPad Pro 9.7 and was interested in the 2020 or even 2018 model in the 11" variety. Anyone else considering this upgrade? I'm good with a great deal on the 2018 if those do drop in price and are not miles apart from a 2020. Lots of rumors but nothing really to make me need a 2020, i don't use it for work nor the camera at all.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I had a great run with the 9.7" pro: use it every day as a sketchbook. I will be buying the 2020 11". I hope the upgraded camera has stabilization, which the 9.7 does have, and subsequent models do not. I also have a 2018 12.9" which I use as a desktop art tool. Great as well

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have an original iPad Pro 9.7 and was interested in the 2020 or even 2018 model in the 11" variety. Anyone else considering this upgrade? I'm good with a great deal on the 2018 if those do drop in price and are not miles apart from a 2020. Lots of rumors but nothing really to make me need a 2020, i don't use it for work nor the camera at all.
I think it's a pretty good upgrade particularly since 2GB RAM is becoming quite cramped for iPadOS and apps appear to be more memory hungry now. I've been thinking of upgrading my mom's Pro 9.7 as well. Problem is I don't know how well she'll cope without the home button. Performance-wise though, she has absolutely no complaints on her iPad.
[automerge]1582131923[/automerge]
I had a great run with the 9.7" pro: use it every day as a sketchbook. I will be buying the 2020 11". I hope the upgraded camera has stabilization, which the 9.7 does have, and subsequent models do not.
Note, iirc, the Pro 9.7 doesn't have OIS. It's the 2nd gen Pro 10.5 that does.

Last edited:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
from 9 to 5 mac
As for video capabilities, the 9.7-inch model is capable of recording 4K video at 30 frames-per-second and slow-mo video at 120 fps 1080p and 240 fps in 720p, while the 12.9-inch model is limited to 1080p videos at 30 fps and slow-mo at 720p at 120 fps. Finally, Apple says the 9.7-inch model supports “cinematic video stabilization,” while the 12.9-inch variant does not.

CIS?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
What do you feel will be different with the Pro11?

I found a great deal on the 11 so I just sold my 9.7pro and regret it. As great as the 11 is, there’s nothing in iPadOS that makes the experience different or significantly better. The 9.7 had quad speakers, pencil support, great screen, Headphone jack, sturdy construction and even with the 2015 A9X I cant think of any instances in which I felt the 9.7 felt slow. So I guess if you have a reason to upgrade then its a solid product. But if you’re just bored (like I was) then March31 isn’t that far away.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
from 9 to 5 mac
As for video capabilities, the 9.7-inch model is capable of recording 4K video at 30 frames-per-second and slow-mo video at 120 fps 1080p and 240 fps in 720p, while the 12.9-inch model is limited to 1080p videos at 30 fps and slow-mo at 720p at 120 fps. Finally, Apple says the 9.7-inch model supports “cinematic video stabilization,” while the 12.9-inch variant does not.

CIS?
I just checked Apple's iPad comparison page and all the iPad Pros have cinematic video stabilization except for the 1st gen 12.9. The common denominator I've found on iPads with this feature is the camera has Autofocus with Focus Pixels.

It's not the same thing as OIS, though.

6E5EBCA0-F138-479B-8E0C-5147A6EE7C38.jpeg
584A5238-4922-4497-BB11-76F60D3957B7.jpeg

LouE37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010

I found a great deal on the 11 so I just sold my 9.7pro and regret it. As great as the 11 is, there’s nothing in iPadOS that makes the experience different or significantly better. The 9.7 had quad speakers, pencil support, great screen, Headphone jack, sturdy construction and even with the 2015 A9X I cant think of any instances in which I felt the 9.7 felt slow. So I guess if you have a reason to upgrade then its a solid product. But if you’re just bored (like I was) then March31 isn’t that far away.

Bored is part of it, i also have a potential plan to redistro my ipad to a family member so just weighing some things to see if it all makes sense. What i'm hoping to do is really try and use this device as more of a primary w/keyboard and mouse instead of my very dated 2009 imac and 2011 Macbook pro. I prefer the form factor, lighweight nature, and just all around portability of a tablet. I guess i'll wait till the keynote and then after getting sucked in i'll maybe order one or a discounted 2018.

Thx all appreciate the feedback!
[automerge]1582135182[/automerge]

Also where did you sell yours? locally, ebay, trade-in?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I hope the upgraded camera has stabilization, which the 9.7 does have, and subsequent models do not. I also have a 2018 12.9" which I use as a desktop art tool. Great as well
The 2017 iPad Pros have optical image stabilization. The rest of the iPad Pro lineup doesn't have optical image stabilization.

Davefevs

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
Bristol, UK
I have 1st gen 12.9 32gb which is rammed full. Thinking of getting 3rd gen 11 64gb for the extra HDD space. Refurb in Uk is £649 (£120 less than new).

What do we reckon price point might be for the new ones that we might see in March.

I should probably wait and see.

LouE37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I have 1st gen 12.9 32gb which is rammed full. Thinking of getting 3rd gen 11 64gb for the extra HDD space. Refurb in Uk is £649 (£120 less than new).

What do we reckon price point might be for the new ones that we might see in March.

I would assume same as 2018, maybe slightly increased?

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom

Well. I’d say they'll be at least the same price as what they are currently, if not more expensive, especially if they are getting a new camera setup and RAM increase.

I‘m waiting until an announcement then probably pulling the trigger on a refurb one like yourself in the hope it sees a slight price decrease.
[automerge]1582404661[/automerge]

This will be my upgrade.

Will then give my 9.7 Pro to my wife and my daughter will get my wife’s Air 2.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
I’m waiting for OLED or miniLED technology.
I frequently use the iPad Pro in the dark or watching movies, so having true dark contrast is a must have. Otherwise my 2016 9.7 ipad pro is perfectly fine.

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
I have a 9.7 Pro, I'm starting to wonder if it's time. Websites specifically are really slow on it. But that said everything else works fine. Netflix, Apple Music, youtube, etc. All great. I record audio on it via Auria and that works great too. So it's hard to justify but the lack of ram and overall slowing down is starting to get to me

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have a 9.7 Pro, I'm starting to wonder if it's time. Websites specifically are really slow on it. But that said everything else works fine. Netflix, Apple Music, youtube, etc. All great. I record audio on it via Auria and that works great too. So it's hard to justify but the lack of ram and overall slowing down is starting to get to me
Interesting. Out of curiosity, what websites do you find slow?

I alternate between a Pro 9.7, Pro 10.5 and Air 3 often enough for web browsing (mostly forums and online shopping) and I haven't really noticed much of a difference in terms of speed.

Granted, I also force close most apps in background so Safari or whatever foreground app I'm using has immediate access to as much RAM as possible.

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
Interesting. Out of curiosity, what websites do you find slow?

Pretty much all of them ha. Mindless pop culture ones like reddit, chive, facebook, 9gag, etc. Slow, pages refresh, sluggish, stuttery. It's pretty bad

This one actually is smooth sailing though, probably coded specifically for apple devices though.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Pretty much all of them ha. Mindless pop culture ones like reddit, chive, facebook, 9gag, etc. Slow, pages refresh, sluggish, stuttery. It's pretty bad

This one actually is smooth sailing though, probably coded specifically for apple devices though.
That's very interesting. Reckon you're probably hitting the RAM and/or storage harder than I am. On this note, I do wonder if storage capacity and free space plays a part as well. I've done a comparison between 32GB iPhone 7 and 256GB iPhone 7 before and the latter was noticeably faster when installing large apps.

Just tried reddit, FB and 9gag on a 128GB Pro 9.7 (88GB free) and 512GB Pro 10.5 (247GB free) both on iPadOS 13.3.1. Page does refresh more often on the 9.7 but I didn't find it stuttery. Comparing side by side with 10.5, the 9.7 was usually just 1-3 seconds slower at initial loading and ignoring ProMotion, was just as fast when scrolling (albeit the 10.5 is obviously smoother).

I expect the A12X 2018 Pros and whatever replaces it will be practically instantaneous, though (internet connection speed permitting).

Last edited:
Reactions: AE_stc

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
That's very interesting. Reckon you're probably hitting the RAM and/or storage harder than I am. On this note, I do wonder if storage capacity and free space plays a part as well. I've done a comparison between 32GB iPhone 7 and 256GB iPhone 7 before and the latter was noticeably faster when installing large apps.

Right yes that could be it. Mine is a 32gb, sitting around 21 used. Maybe for some reason yeah it’s just hitting the ram harder. It was certified Apple refurbished so maybe it wasn’t as pristine as factory new

spudWorks

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
I had a 9.7" 128 Pro from... basically when it was released until September of last year, when it became clear that Apple wasn't going to do a significant upgrade. Mostly it was because I wanted the new. That sucker was as solid as when I'd bought it, maybe a few more Safari page reloads but, otherwise, just as fast as everything else. It is, and was, a hell of a machine. In fact, I gave it to my wife and she took it on a business trip with her with her laptop also and she's said that, next time, she's going to leave the laptop at home. I think that speaks volumes, honestly.

I'm an app developer and my client had moved entirely to 11" Pros so, it was tough for me to support them with the 9.7" when they reported stuff. But... I mean... really... that was just my excuse to upgrade. The 11" is... well... everything I always wanted a Baby Pro to be except for still not supporting two "normal" width size-classed apps side-by-side in landscape (like the Daddy Pro does). I love the screen refresh rate. I like the lack of home button. I really love the weight when I remove the folio. And it's just so easy to read on. But, had Apple in September announced they were going to release a new Pro in March, I still would have waited because the 9.7" did everything I ever asked of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.