Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
It's not that I don't want to acknowledge it, it's just that opening the multitasking switcher is just as simple.

OK, let me sum this up again.

I receive an email that contains an URL. I click the URL, grab whatever info I need and want to close that tab and go back to reply to that email.

In iOS, I'd have to press the tab button and click the - to close that tab, then double-click the home button and press mail to go back to the originating email. That's 5 button presses.

In Android, press back. One button press and that tab is closed and I'm back in the originating email.

wallpaper01

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I had an iPhone 4 and iPad 3

Now I have Lumia 800 (Windows Phone 7) and Nexus 7, and I havnt looked back! :)

I couldnt go back! Both Android and Windows Phone 7 have more features and iOS offers nothing addition to these OS's

Take the plunge!

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

I receive an email that contains an URL. I click the URL, grab whatever info I need and want to close that tab and go back to reply to that email.

In iOS, I'd have to press the tab button and click the - to close that tab, then double-click the home button and press mail to go back to the originating email. That's 5 button presses.

In Android, press back. One button press and that tab is closed and I'm back in the originating email.

The problem is you're making it tedious when it doesn't have to. In addition, you seem to be misusing "tedious". I wouldn't classify button presses as tiresome.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

In Sparrow I receive an email that contains an URL. I click the URL gather the information and then simply swipe back to get back to my main thread.

But even if I didn't have Sparrow and was using my iPad I'd simply 4 finger swipe right to left and i'm back in my inbox exactly where I left off.

You guys are making things too difficult.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
In Sparrow I receive an email that contains an URL. I click the URL gather the information and then simply swipe back to get back to my main thread.

But even if I didn't have Sparrow and was using my iPad I'd simply 4 finger swipe right to left and i'm back in my inbox exactly where I left off.

Good point, forgot about those multitasking gestures.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

I take it Sparrow behaves like any other iOS app that takes advantage of UI Webview and doesn't actually open in Safari by default? This behaviour is impossible if using the Mail app and Safari I'm guessing?

Do the multitiouch gestures work for app switching on the iPhone? I can't imagine they're as easy to use on the small screen as they are on the iPad.

The four finger swipe gesture works great on the iPad I must admit. I use it quite a lot when multitasking between apps.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Thnaks for all the replies,

How do you load music from iTunes on an Android device? I'm guessing no mail, contacts or calendar pushing also.....

I use iCloud and iTunes Match....

Use Google music. Any time you add content to iTunes, it is immediately put on your phone. Thats what I used when I had Android. It worked like a charm.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
ChazUK

I don't know why Apple doesn't employ the webkit view right in Mail. Tweetbot and Sparrow (two apps that use it) make me want to click more links because I know I don't have to do the who app swapping thing.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

Oh snap. Google is gonna take away your Sparrow and give it to Android users.
slapcry.gif
:D

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Do the multitiouch gestures work for app switching on the iPhone? I can't imagine they're as easy to use on the small screen as they are on the iPad.

The four finger swipe gesture works great on the iPad I must admit. I use it quite a lot when multitasking between apps.

Exactly, I thought we were referring to phones in this thread and multitouch gestures aren't available on the iPhone. On a 3.5" screen it may not be practical. I really wish Apple opened up the OSX Lion gestures to the iPad (two finger fwd/back and three finger multitasking.) Four fingers are kind of hard to do on the iPad screen in portrait. I do use it on my iPad but always think how much easier it would be to do with three fingers OSX-style.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Exactly, I thought we were referring to phones in this thread and multitouch gestures aren't available on the iPhone. On a 3.5" screen it may not be practical. I really wish Apple opened up the OSX Lion gestures to the iPad (two finger fwd/back and three finger multitasking.) Four fingers are kind of hard to do on the iPad screen in portrait. I do use it on my iPad but always think how much easier it would be to do with three fingers OSX-style.

Jailbreak your phone for full multi-touch gestures and additionally, Atomic Web Browser uses similar swipe gestures to the trackpad on the MBP/MBA.

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
A long time ago I went from an iPhone 3 to my andriod evo 4g I still have today. Screen size and navigation was the main reasons I left. Also I was kinda sick of just seeing icons and wanted the chance of customizing my os. A few weeks ago I got an iPad and I love it. I tried some andriod tablets out there but they all seemed un polished and the iPad is IMO just much more fluid. I had some apps on my evo but never really used them. But on my iPad, I'm using the apps I got much more and I had forgotten the quality of apps in ios.
I'm going to be switching back to the new iPhone when it comes out, and cannot wait. Andriod was pretty good to me but I'm ready to go back.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I've been going back & forth since I bought my first android, Google nexus S.

I don't get why people need to pick sides, stop acting like you're committed to it for life (marriage). LOL

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Agreed 100%. Currently on Android (S3) but if Apple ever gets its act together with ios I might go back.

People seem to treat it like a life changing decision.

I've been going back & forth since I bought my first android, Google nexus S.

I don't get why people need to pick sides, stop acting like you're committed to it for life (marriage). LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.