Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
I'm curious if you're affected by the November 3 update from last year, since Apple was either forcing you to update to 10.3.4 or disabling your GPS and internet services.

Did this really happen? Are you still on iOS 6 or did you update?

I want to get myself an iOS 6 device but I'm afraid due to this issue I either won't be able to use the internet or will be forced to update.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iOS 6 Safari will be a miserable experience on the Internet any way you look at it
Plenty of other browsers available that still run on iOS 6. Safari is not the be all end all of web browsing on the iPhone or iPad.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Plenty of other browsers available that still run on iOS 6. Safari is not the be all end all of web browsing on the iPhone or iPad.
As far as I know, all other browsers for iOS use the same Safari engine, just with the app's design. So the compatibility is gonna be the same on them all. I am not sure if they've changed this, but at least in the early days it was like that.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As far as I know, all other browsers for iOS use the same Safari engine, just with the app's design. So the compatibility is gonna be the same on them all. I am not sure if they've changed this, but at least in the early days it was like that.
Nitrous used to be a jailbreak tweak offering access to the JIT engine that only stock Apple apps (including Safari) had access to.

On a stock device then, anything other than Safari does not have access to Safari's JIT engine. This means then that other devs have to develop their own thing - which in this case I think would be a benefit.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Maybe anyone with iPhone 5/4s that has iOS 6 can help? I really need to know if it's worth buying an iPhone 5 with iOS 6, because of the update.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Maybe anyone with iPhone 5/4s that has iOS 6 can help? I really need to know if it's worth buying an iPhone 5 with iOS 6, because of the update.
If I was in the spot to purchase a 5 with iOS 6 your issue would not matter to me, even if I could only use it as an iPod. I have a 5, it's been replaced three times now and I'm waiting for the disposable income to replace it a fourth time. But it's on iOS 10.

I have a September 2014 backup that's been waiting to be restored to a 5 running iOS 6 for six years now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.