Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If the device has it, and they live in an area where 5G is supported sure.
From experience, my area is usually in the first, hmm, 5 or 10 cities to get the rollout. Happily rollouts often coincide with a bit before Apple releases their iOS device with new network tech. An early adopter to Apple might get, say, 1-3 years of good speed before majority of users switch and the new network gets bogged down. :p

But for me, I live in the country and always have lived just outside of major cities. So, I don’t see 5G coming for years. It’ll just be one of those things I will hear people rave about lol, until that day finally comes when I look up at the top right of my display, years after its glamor has worn off and I see the letters “5G” lol. And I go holy crap!

I honestly feel lucky that I get super fast LTE with all of the data I need at my disposal so far.
I can just imagine. At 50Mbps+ you don't really need 5G whereas it's necessary in crowded areas to help alleviate congestion. Normal use, unless one is watching 4K or torrenting or tethering or something, it's unlikely that one would even max out LTE bandwidth in your case.
[doublepost=1552829712][/doublepost]Some math:
50Mbps at 8 hours a day for 30 days

50Mbps * 3600 hrs/s / 8 bits/byte * 8 hrs * 30 days = 5.4 TB

One day usage at 8 hours: 180 GB

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Wow I didn’t know that I could buy an unlimited plan from AT&T. I stopped by one of the stores and asked and they told me they didn’t have unlimited data plans anymore unless I was grandfathered in. So what’s the difference in the old grandfathered unlimited and the new unlimited data plan??
The difference is the speed. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan for my iPad - it is great and speeds are good. I also had the grandfathered unlimited on my phone but needed an add on for European travel. ATT told me I would have to go to the new unlimited plan to get the lower cost add on. What they didn’t tell me was that the new unlimited plan was throttled right at the get go. It was so bad that I ended up transferring to a 5 gigabyte plan.
[doublepost=1552830625][/doublepost]
It is easy for att to offer an unlimited plan if your speed is always dropping below 0.1mbps and your webpages and apps hang because they are not receiving packets. Sure its unlimited, an unlimited tiny dribble.
This was my same experience with the new unlimited plan on my phone.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
Yes, the pre paid $30 ATT iPad plan is real and legit.

Also, there is a $20 car connected unlimited plan you can get but it is post paid. You would need a nano sim sent out instead of micro but you can technically get unlimited for $20 a month.

I have two of these lines.
[doublepost=1552672854][/doublepost]

Stop spouting BS you know nothing of. Plenty of people use that plan and download hundreds of gigabytes per month. There really is very little deprioritization and there will only be any if the tower you are on get super congested.

a lot of people use these as home internet plans. They report that even when they are deprioritized they can still stream HD content with no buffering.

lol

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I also had the grandfathered unlimited on my phone but needed an add on for European travel. ATT told me I would have to go to the new unlimited plan to get the lower cost add on. What they didn’t tell me was that the new unlimited plan was throttled right at the get go. It was so bad that I ended up transferring to a 5 gigabyte plan.
That was pretty frustrating to learn I had to get rid of my grandfathered plan to use international day pass. I did switch but luckily I didn't notice a difference in my regular usage at home.

eric89074

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I use the iPad unlimited plan in a Netgear MR1100 hotspot as my main internet at home. I'm close to a tower and AT&T is good in my area. I never get lower than 50mbps and get well over 100mbps in off peak hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.