Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jingyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
I get really bad headaches, nausea and dizziness using OLED screens due to pwm so I’m stuck with the iPhone 11. Interested whether anyone else with the same issue is going to try out the 13?

Reactions: CosminM

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I had a lot of trouble adjusting from my 11 Pro to the 12, 12 Pro, 12 Mini displays. I did better on the 12 Pro max and gave up on the others. But I kept the mini because it’s easy to carry and I was using it for calls and quick texts. Somehow, I adjusted to the mini to the point I can read on it comfortably. When I first had it I got eye socket aches within a few minutes of using it.

Every time I get a new device, I gamble with the display. It’s not just OLED, I had terrible eye strain with the SE2 and traded that phone away.

This is why I don’t do the device trade at the Apple Store. Via mail, I get 2 weeks to see if I need to keep my old device.

Reactions: CosminM and Jingyd

Jingyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
I’m getting a 13 pro but will hold onto my 11 until I know it’ll be ok for me
I’d be interested to hear how you get on with it. I’m going to wait to see how others feel with it because I react quite badly with PWM.

Hope it works out for you.

Reactions: motulist

Jingyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
I had a lot of trouble adjusting from my 11 Pro to the 12, 12 Pro, 12 Mini displays. I did better on the 12 Pro max and gave up on the others. But I kept the mini because it’s easy to carry and I was using it for calls and quick texts. Somehow, I adjusted to the mini to the point I can read on it comfortably. When I first had it I got eye socket aches within a few minutes of using it.

Every time I get a new device, I gamble with the display. It’s not just OLED, I had terrible eye strain with the SE2 and traded that phone away.

This is why I don’t do the device trade at the Apple Store. Via mail, I get 2 weeks to see if I need to keep my old device.
Good luck. I hope you get on ok with the 13.

Reactions: CosminM and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Good luck. I hope you get on ok with the 13.
Thank you. Are you going to try? I’ve seen one video so far and the 13 Pro display looks better on video than the 12 display so I’m hoping it will be better in person, too. Sometimes videos can depict the higher refresh rate. It’s not always the case that how the display looks when filmed will equal how much better the pwm flicker is, but last year in the case of the 12 series I did find it to be true.

Reactions: Jingyd

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Since I don't care about the camera all that much and the iPhone 8 Plus was the pinnacle of non flickering iPhone LCD tech - with an acceptable snap shot quality camera - I purchased an Apple refurbished one of those instead.
It was relatively inexpensive too.
New battery, new display, new outer shell, 1-1/2 year old logic board.

Jingyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Thank you. Are you going to try? I’ve seen one video so far and the 13 Pro display looks better on video than the 12 display so I’m hoping it will be better in person, too. Sometimes videos can depict the higher refresh rate. It’s not always the case that how the display looks when filmed will equal how much better the pwm flicker is, but last year in the case of the 12 series I did find it to be true.
I think I’ll wait and see if anyone here reviews how they’ve found it and then decide. I’ve heard the 13 does the astrophotography mode, not sure how true that is and I’d love that for photography.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Since I don't care about the camera all that much and the iPhone 8 Plus was the pinnacle of non flickering iPhone LCD tech - with an acceptable snap shot quality camera - I purchased an Apple refurbished one of those instead.
It was relatively inexpensive too.
New battery, new display, new outer shell, 1-1/2 year old logic board.
The 8 Plus does have the display that was easiest on my eyes. I had some issues with my intel modem and other things regarding call quality which is why I let it go. I regret that now. I could have kept it but I traded it to get my dad an iPhone that works on his Verizon network. Had I known what was to come I would have paid for his phone outright in full.

orange23

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2020
I heard today the new LPTO on iPhone 13 seems even worse to eye strains if you are sensitive already, due to the fact it adopts so called "full light low PWM" with no (or very limited) DC dimming option?

Not sure if I capture the description right, but some said they believe it's even worse than previous OLED in terms of eye health damage (however the new LPTO is very good for color display, energy saving, durability, COGS etc.)

Rumor said the cook is working on micro/miniLED technology to address some of these health issues, but long way to go; and right now in short/mid terms, management teams are so focusing on stock price and sales....

• Sad

orange23

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2020
Some KOLs believe nobody want to highlight or even mention that health issue from OLED/LPTO etc. although it's well known within tech group, unless end-users start to cry heavily over social media...

Samsung doesn't care, Apple doesn't care and who care....

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
I heard today the new LPTO on iPhone 13 seems even worse to eye strains if you are sensitive already, due to the fact it adopts so called "full light low PWM" with no (or very limited) DC dimming option?

Not sure if I capture the description right, but some said they believe it's even worse than previous OLED in terms of eye health damage (however the new LPTO is very good for color display, energy saving, durability, COGS etc.)

Rumor said the cook is working on micro/miniLED technology to address some of these health issues, but long way to go; and right now in short/mid terms, management teams are so focusing on stock price and sales....
Source?

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Hi O,

I’d be interested in hearing people‘s experiences with this. Be great to hang onto the old devices, until sure happy with new one!

Best wishes
Martin
I received this email today. My iPhones 13’s arrive Friday. I still have not received the return trade in kit yet. So it looks like i will at least have 14 days to test out the 13 before having to send in my 11 LCD.

IMG_0559.jpeg

Reactions: Marty_Macfly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.