Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
So, even though we have "unlimited" data plans, I've heard that AT&T caps this at about 5gb a month. No problem right? Never has been, especially with the old phone, but looking at the usage stats on my old phone... in one year I downloaded about 800 megs. Just yesterday from using Pandora Radio and other apps I downloaded 25 megs, and I hardly used the phone too.

So... anyone worried about hitting the 5gb/month? Anyone know what pricing is after you hit that?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The 5GB cap is for data cards and smart phones with tethering only. standard smartphone plans (including the iPhone) are not capped.

That notwithstanding, the 5GB a month is a "soft cap." You aren't charged extra if you go over that limit. In theory, what's supposed to happen is that if you repeatedly go voer this cap, you might get contacted to find out what you're doing that's pulling in so much data.

But as far as I know, no one has been "contacted" yet.

In any case, Data usage is obviously not counted when you're on WiFi. And I can say that I only used about 250MB of data on AT&T's network monthly on my 1st Gen iPhone, though I have WifI access both at work and home (and at some friends' places I visit).

EDIT: Here's the proof.

From AT&T's iPhone plans page:

iPhone3GPlan.png

And from AT&T's DataConnect plan page:

DataConnectPlan.png

Unlike Verizon, when AT&T says unlimited, they mean unlimited, and will tell you when a cap exists on a plan.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
So, even though we have "unlimited" data plans, I've heard that AT&T caps this at about 5gb a month. No problem right? Never has been, especially with the old phone, but looking at the usage stats on my old phone... in one year I downloaded about 800 megs. Just yesterday from using Pandora Radio and other apps I downloaded 25 megs, and I hardly used the phone too.

So... anyone worried about hitting the 5gb/month? Anyone know what pricing is after you hit that?

As stated above, there is no limit, the 5gb a month limit does not apply to browsing the net on your phone..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.