Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Went to use my watch to pay for something (at an Apple Store no less) and when I double clicked the bar button it told me "Card Unavailable." My iPhone's Apple Pay worked perfectly.

When I go to the watch app, my cards are listed but they say Unavailable. I removed them from the watch (using the watch app) and now I'm unable to add them back. The wath app tells me "Could not add card. Try again later or contact your card issuer for more information."

Mind you, two different cards (AMEX and Wells Fargo) are saying the same thing. Called American Express and they see the card connected to my iPhone and my iPad, but not to the watch - nor is it generating a request at their end when I try to add the card. They suggested it was an Apple problem, not a problem on their end. Of course, I know if I call Apple, the script will say it's a card issuer problem...

Apple Pay was working on my watch as of about 10 days ago (last time I used it). Now can't get either of my two cards to work, though they both still work on my iPhone.

Tried rebooting. No go.

Anyone else having Apple Pay issues on their watch recently?

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
Did you reboot the watch or the phone, or both? It really sounds like a watch issue though. I guess it's possible you have an actual hardware failure on the watch. Not sure how that would be indicated, I would hope the watch would give you an error though.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Did you reboot the watch or the phone, or both? It really sounds like a watch issue though. I guess it's possible you have an actual hardware failure on the watch. Not sure how that would be indicated, I would hope the watch would give you an error though.
Rebooted both to be sure. Tried to add a card to the watch that didn't already exist on my phone. Wouldn't add. Same error as above.

Then tried to add the card to my phone. No problem. Took two seconds.

Went to add to watch. No go. Same error.

Hopefully it's not an NFC failure in the watch. It's covered under AppleCare and there's been no damage to the watch. And no other error messages are coming up.

Bizzare.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Fixed. I unpaired the watch and restored from today's backup, adding back the card in question during the pairing & setup process. The card was successfully added.

Very strange that Apple Pay on the watch would work, then without any changes whatsoever, quit working. Guess there's still bugs deep down in there.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I get this with my default card (natwest, UK), quite often. i double click again and the problem goes away. Very odd..

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
I get this with my default card (natwest, UK), quite often. i double click again and the problem goes away. Very odd..

I get this randomly, it's really annoying and completely defeats the purpose of using the Watch to pay. Using the watch, when it works, is quick and easy. When it fails you look like an idiot trying to get your watch to work, then have to get your wallet out and pay by card.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have had similar problems a few times and it is the primary reason I do not use Apple Pay.

Hate to be in line behind someone who has to try over and over and it will not work.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Hate to be in line behind someone who has to try over and over and it will not work.
FAR better than a check writer.:eek::eek::D

I just use my iPhone since it is in my hand and using while waiting in line/cue. Find it much more convenient than trying to line up my wrist and push the button.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I just use my iPhone since it is in my hand and using while waiting in line/cue. Find it much more convenient than trying to line up my wrist and push the button.

I never carry my iPhone in my hand unless I am using it. I would likely drop it multiple time a day.

For me the debit card has never failed. :)

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA

You’re doing it wrong? ;)

You don’t need to line anything up and then push the button...

Look at the Watch and push the button. Pick what card you want to use (if you have multiple cards loaded), then move the Watch to the payment terminal. It doesn’t even have to be really lined up, the few times I’ve tried it. Just in the vicinity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.