Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I saved a web page as one LONG pdf. I cropped the pdf for the text column I wanted. Is there any app or script available that will break this pdf into parts (page size)? I can do this manually through Photoshop, etc. but quicker app needed.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I use Adobe Acrobat Pro to do this.
I have heard you can do this also in Adobe Reader. I can convert poster to pages and reverse.
I downloaded Acrobat to try out, where do you see the ability to break a pdf into smaller pdfs?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
His PDF only has one page.
Oohps, sorry. You can use PosteRazor or Briss for this. Basically any program that support tiling - LibreOfficeDraw, Acrobat Reader, etc.

If this is needed often - and if you have no mental reservations against using the terminal ? - I suggest writing a small script using Ghostscript and/or pdftools and/or ImageMagick.

Something like:

convert YourReallyLongSinglePage.pdf -crop 1x3@ +repage -in YourNew_%d.png

will cut your long, single page PDF into YourNew_1.png, YourNew_2.png and YourNew_3.png preserving the original width while cutting the length in 3 (1x3@). There are many more processing and output options like resolution, defining the output size as e.g. A5, etc., or writing different output formats like PDF.

You can then create a droplet using Automator or something like Platypus.

EDIT: for clarity

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I downloaded Acrobat to try out, where do you see the ability to break a pdf into smaller pdfs?

In Acrobat I loaded a long file (Poster). I then pulled this up in Print, checked properties, set options in Page Size and Handling and printed as an Adobe pdf.
Poster became an 11 page document (pdf).

My new doc I then went into and could add header and footer info as desired.

Adobe Acrobat XI Pro

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I only have one page. It is 100 inches deep. I don’t understand how i will get pages from one pdf that is one page long

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I’m not understanding. If I do that it will only print at whatever % I decide. I want the pdf to break into 5 parts, NOT simply print the document at another size? Where do you see the document TILES into 5 parts?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
"if I am going from giant single to 8.5x11 or 8.5x16 to letter or ...." all you are doing is printing a smaller pdf. If I am wrong, show me the settings, take a screen shot. I don't think you understand what I want.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Found a better solution for long 1 page pdfs. PDFCutter in the Apple Store does a fast job, with the ability to manually choose depths of all pages so I don't scalp sentences or split paragraphs. This app works beautifully if you start w the GridCutter option. Then manually adjust each page depths if you want, or go with auto depths depending upon number of pdfs to split. Simply SAVE and instant pages. For MacOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.