Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rachislenska

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I had a Retina MacBook Pro 2013 model which I used for 8 years before getting current M2 air. Once I got the M2 air I foolishly tried to experiment with linux distro elementary OS mainly because it was in a way similar to Mac OS. However it is an absolute disaster making the old MacBook Pro utterly useless.
Is there anyway to reinstall Mac OS any version back in it? No I haven't backed up anything on Time Machine.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I had a Retina MacBook Pro 2013 model which I used for 8 years before getting current M2 air. Once I got the M2 air I foolishly tried to experiment with linux distro elementary OS mainly because it was in a way similar to Mac OS. However it is an absolute disaster making the old MacBook Pro utterly useless.
Is there anyway to reinstall Mac OS any version back in it? No I haven't backed up anything on Time Machine.

Fear not, Internet Recovery Mode will restore the computer to working order. :)

Turn on the MacBook Pro and choose from the two options below, depending upon your preferences.

• Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.
  • Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Would Internet Recovery still work if they've completely wiped the MBP's drive to install Linux on it? (I don't know if the OP actually did this.) I had the impression Internet Recovery just worked off of a hidden partition on the Mac's internal drive. If you asked the Linux installer to do a clean install, it would wipe everything on the drive, including the hidden partition.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Would Internet Recovery still work if they've completely wiped the MBP's drive to install Linux on it? (I don't know if the OP actually did this.) I had the impression Internet Recovery just worked off of a hidden partition on the Mac's internal drive. If you asked the Linux installer to do a clean install, it would wipe everything on the drive, including the hidden partition.

It would - and certainly does work regardless of the drive's status. For example, not too ago I completely erased the SSD in my 2012 13" MBP and Internet Recovery restored Mountain Lion, which was a surprise! I'd wanted Snow Leopard installed on my 2010 MBA C2D with its new SSD and instead Internet Recovery gave me Lion. The facility appears to work via a ROM function (or something similar) in Intel Macs so that it can phone home to Apple and install/reinstall macOS.

Reactions: rampancy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.