Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
I tried the old way on Sierra...
How to Reset Launchpad Layout in MacOS Sierra, El Capitan
  1. Open the Terminal application and enter the following defaults write command string:
    defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true; killall Dock
  2. Hit return and wait for the Dock to relaunch and Launchpad to reset
But does not seem to work on Mojave. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
It won't work in APFS. I read somewhere, APFS has hash number for the iD, therefore, resetting launchpad only resetting based on apps hash number, instead of apps name. However, the position of each apps will remain the same.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I read that too, but I thought maybe a Mac whizkid could figure out a work around. Maybe Apple will update this command in a future update.

sonamo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
California
Yeah, I read that too, but I thought maybe a Mac whizkid could figure out a work around. Maybe Apple will update this command in a future update.

I think the logical workaround would be to look at the launchpad database file after that and then use a terminal command to sort the data that gets out of order into alphabetical order. Wish someone else would put in all the hard work for this :)

sonamo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
California
I've been using Launchpad Manager since a couple of Mac OS version, works great and do what you want!

http://launchpadmanager.com

Yeah that works, but t costs money. I have a copy of it. The problem with that is it can’t be scripted to run at startup. I’ve contacted the developer and he has no plans to make this programmable to run automatically.

It becomes a whole thing to manage he icons on your computer (that you don’t want to ever have to do) to keep up with all the new apps you install

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The problem with that is it can’t be scripted to run at startup. I’ve contacted the developer and he has no plans to make this programmable to run automatically.

Why would you want this to run at startup? Once you have applied your changes they are persistent through reboots. You just launch the program when you can't do what you want to do with launchpad.

As for the price, seems reasonable to take the developer out for a $7.99 meal at MacDonalds. Developers do need to eat.

Wasn't aware of this program, very useful tool in cleaning up my 7 page launchpad mess.

Reactions: crjackson2134

sonamo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
California
So that as you use your computer and install new apps they don’t appear on the first page with the Apple apps. It goes back to the way the terminal command works (original post)

OldGreyGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2014
Near Brisbane, Australia
Launchpad Manager did not work for me, just reports that the download version will not run on Yosemite and as I am running High Sierra I figured there was a bug.

I have also missed this feature but I am retraining myself to get around the problem, mostly as I am now using spotlight more by hitting Cmd-Space and then typing the start of the application I want which is proving pretty effective for me.

Alternatively I have also dragged the applications folder down onto the Dock next to the default Downloads folder, just make sure it is set as a Stack and sorted in Name order and when I click on it all my apps are there in alphabetical order and I never have to run the terminal command to re-sort.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
So that as you use your computer and install new apps they don’t appear on the first page with the Apple apps. It goes back to the way the terminal command works (original post)

Still don't understand. When you install an app it is simple enough to bring up Apple's launchpad and drag the new icon to the alphabetical position you want. Alternatively you should be able to put launchpad manager in your username startup items so that the program is running after you log in. But then you have to click on the icon to bring up the program, move the program icon in launchpad to the correct location and sort as needed, apply, and exit. That's a lot more work than simply dragging the icon. Launching launchpad manager on startup also adds to the length of the boot process, complexity in resolving startup issues, and do you really want it running all of the time taking system resources?

That's making the assumption that you are just adding single programs maybe a few times a week. If you are adding hundreds a day then setting as a user login items does make sense.

If you have just a single page launchpad and just want it sorted automatically on boot I see the point, but again adding more complexity to the boot process isn't the greatest idea when you can simply avoid it.

Moselakatse

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2019
I tried the old way on Sierra...
How to Reset Launchpad Layout in MacOS Sierra, El Capitan
  1. Open the Terminal application and enter the following defaults write command string:
    defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true; killall Dock
  2. Hit return and wait for the Dock to relaunch and Launchpad to reset
But does not seem to work on Mojave. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
[doublepost=1555278752][/doublepost]Why not just delete Launchpad from your dock and drag in your Applications folder instead? The Applications folder is already in alphabetical order by default and itt works just as well as Launchpad as a one-click app launcher. Also, of course, any new app is automatically added in the correct alphabetical order. (Sorry, My iMac is too old for Mojave so I can't test this in that O/S, but it works perfectly for me in High Sierra.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.