Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I have been using the Waze app in CarPlay because it shows all the cameras in New York City. However when I get on the highway or leave the city I still hear the Waze notifications (like car disabled) even if I switch to another app like Music even if I am no longer using Waze for directions. So aside from taking out my iPhone is there another way to get Waze to stop?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
When I drive in NYC and have the Waze app active, whether or not I am using it for navigation, it will announce Red Light cameras automatically. The speed cameras (which it refers to as "speed traps") are announced when I am approaching them - about 1/5 mile before - and I am going over the posted speed limit. In the Voice and Sounds setting of the App itself I have Sounds set to Alerts Only. And under the Waze Settings/Map Display, there are the various settings for what you want displayed under "Reports". There is also a place in the Waze App - when it is open on the CarPlay screen - to set what type of notifications you want announced.
Unfortunately, when I leave the city (or get on the highway) I don't want any notifications from Waze - especially when using Apple or Google Maps - and there is no easy way to actually turn off the app itself.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
If I want out of Waze, I swipe up on the app on my phone. Kills it in carplay as well.

This.

If Waze isn’t showing up as an open app on your iPhone, launch it, count to three, and then swipe it closed. That will close it in CarPlay as well.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Am I honestly reading people suggesting that using your phone is the right answer here?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Am I honestly reading people suggesting that using your phone is the right answer here?

Yes. To close a map opened in CarPlay you need to swipe it closed on the iPhone. There is no way to force-close apps in CarPlay. You do that on the iPhone.

Furthermore, when a map is launched in CarPlay it often doesn’t show up on the iPhone after you’ve turned off the car, but it’s actually still running in the background. So to close it you need to launch it on the iPhone and then swipe it shut to prevent it from restarting the next time it connects to CarPlay. This is how Waze currently is functioning. Quite awkward.

Reactions: BigHungry04

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
Yes. To close a map opened in CarPlay you need to swipe it closed on the iPhone. There is no way to force-close apps in CarPlay. You do that on the iPhone.

Furthermore, when a map is launched in CarPlay it often doesn’t show up on the iPhone after you’ve turned off the car, but it’s actually still running in the background. So to close it you need to launch it on the iPhone and then swipe it shut to prevent it from restarting the next time it connects to CarPlay. This is how Waze currently is functioning. Quite awkward.

It is rather annoying. If I want it to give me notifications, I'd have it open.

Reactions: boltjames

repack1

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
Waze would not close on my phone when I’m in my car is no way to close the app the blue box stayed around my clock constantly so I had to delete it from my phone it was burning battery

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
There are three tiers to Waze Audio

-Full Nav
-Alerts Only
-All Silenced

Set up a Siri shortcut to silence all Waze notifications when you dont need them, and another shortcut to give you just the driving alerts only

Msss

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2023
It is rather annoying. If I want it to give me notifications, I'd have it open.
  • End directions at any time: Say something to Siri like “Stop navigating,” or select the estimated time of arrival (ETA) display at the bottom left, then choose End Route.
  • This is from an Apple forum

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.