Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I know iOS 9 now has "share to iBooks" so you can save to a PDF, but I still xxx and find a way to do this on iOS mail app.

I just want to save an email on iOS mail to a PDF so I can save it to drop box for offline info. Why does Apple make some things so difficult. Great they've added some save to PDF but not iOS mail.

Can anyone help, is there a easy way, app or trick please? I don't have a 6s either, it's a 6 plus

Thanks

Last edited:

Bezares

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
México
I know iOS 9 now has "share to iBooks" so you can save to a PDF, but I still xxx and find a way to do this on iOS mail app.

I just want to save an email on iOS mail to a PDF so I can save it to drop box for offline info. Why does Apple make some things so difficult. Great they've added some save to PDF but not iOS mail.

Can anyone help, is there a easy way, app or trick please?

Thanks

Spark mail app does that. Your mail can be converted to PDF.
[doublepost=1465773145][/doublepost]And you can save it within the app to several cloud services such as Dropbox.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

Can anyone help, is there a easy way, app or trick please? I don't have a 6s either, it's a 6 plus

Thanks

It's indeed missing from Apple's own Mail app but you can use the Mail app by installing the Workflow app and installing the right workflow (or creating it yourself) and use the iOS ShareSheet to do this. See also this blog.

There are third party apps like Spark and Airmail which can save an e-mail as PDF and store them on your favorite cloud service (e.g. Dropbox). See also my comparison here which ones can. The two mentioned apps are my favorites. I'm using Spark daily.

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks for replies. I'm happy enough with iOS mail app, I was hoping for an app, extension or whatever ideally, but doesn't look like that possible then? Only via a complete separate app?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Odd that a functionality like that would be restricted to 3D Touch essentially just because.

It's indeed odd that such a feature is 3D Touch only. I'll stick with Spark which works fine for all sort of things although it could a bit more feature which e.g. Airmail has.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
It's indeed odd that such a feature is 3D Touch only. I'll stick with Spark which works fine for all sort of things although it could a bit more feature which e.g. Airmail has.

9to5 Mac is reporting that it will be possible to print to a PDF using a pinch gesture on the print preview icon in the iPad in iOS 10

Create PDF

Also new in iOS 10, you’ll now be able to create a PDF from the print panel much like you have long been able to do on the Mac. After selecting Print, you can access the feature by pinching out from the print preview screen with two fingers and hitting the share menu in the upper right corner (or use peek and pop with 3D Touch instead of pinching). Any app that can accept PDF sharing will be under the share menu and you can send your newly created PDF from there.

I note that the 3-D touch gesture on the iPhone 6s or 6S plus already allows you to print as PDF in iOS 9. However, since the iPad does not have 3-D touch, printing to PDF was not available directly from the OS. Adding the pinch gesture in iOS 10 brings this feature to the iPad and lesser iPhones. Game changer!

Reactions: pacorob

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Found a round about way...

If it's not in gmail, send it to, open safari gmail site.

Open email, there's a "print" option. Click that and there's an opt to save to Google drive as a PDF.

Then open Google drive and copy to wherever want...

Long winded and a pain, but all I've got for now....

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Sweet, I raised feedback that they should add a non 3D Touch way to print to PDF, they listened :D

Not working in mail for me but the print previews are broken there. Works in Word though, which uses the same screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.