Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PianoPete

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
I just ordered a new Mac Pro 2.66 WOOT! I wan't a game to start with until I get windows in bootcamp. It's either gonna be Age of Empires III or Civilization IV. It looks like I can't get a cross platform disc for either game so which should I get for Mac? I'm concerned about mods because I assume there are more mods for windows and I don't want to buy a game twice just for the ability to use mods.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I dont know much about AoE but I am a big civ fan and I say go for civ IV, its a great series.

PianoPete

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
Ya I've played out Civ III and AOE II so I'm really looking forward to playing both of them. It's just which one should I get in Mac version and which one in windows version.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I'd probably get AoE III for the PC because network gaming isn't cross-platform. You'll probably have more PC players to play with than Mac players.

Civ4 appears to not be network compatible if you use "Internet Play," according to Wikipedia. No idea about mod support.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
If mods are very important to you, I would say go with AoE III.

I have both- Civ 4 is one of my all time favorite games, by far. It's really the only game I play these days. Unfortunately, mod support on the mac is WEAK. There are a few mods that work on the mac, but most are pc only. Very unfortunate, as there are some AWESOME Civ 4 mods out there (TAM- the ancient civilization mod- being my favorite).

I liked AoE II, but nowhere near as much as I enjoyed AoE I and II. I feel that Civ 4 has so much more replay value. I don't know about AoE II, but I know for a fact that you can play Civ 4 on a mac against Civ 4 on a pc (I have tried both direct ip games and network games).

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I like Civ IV a lot, but it does get a bit repetitive after you play it through a few times. The biggest problem, IMO, is that it doesn't really seem possible to be peaceful and still win. Sure, you can win by some method other than conquest, but pretty much only if you beat at least a few other civs in to submission along the way. The world is just too crowded to develop a civ big enough to win, by any method, without a good deal of conquest (btw, I have nothing against conquest, it's probably the best part of Civ IV. but I think it's a little too necessary the way the game usually plays out).

sthpark7791

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
I played the demo of AOE III and it rocked. I havent had the chance to pla Civ yet. I suppose it's the same type of game?

Jan 30, 2006
Civ 4 is an OK game, and only that. As someone else said, it becomes very repetitive after a couple of games played.

And as for AoE III, it is very different from the previous ones. But the greatness of this games is that it is difficult to get repetitive, you can always try new strategies and so on.

I still like AoE II over any other game. Age of Mythology was also good, but not that good. And as for AoE I, I am really tempted to play it again, it is one of those games that changed the game industry.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
I like both games.

AOE III and here's why: Normally you just want to kick some @$$ and then get to you next task… a time killer. Games are about an hour, give or take. And if you want to play for several hours there is the Campaign Mode. :)

I personally wouldn't mind having AOE III for Mac and Windows.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I love AOE3 great game! It can have nice short games or games that last a long time depending on who your playing against.

PianoPete

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
Guess I'll go AoE III. There's always a few games up on Game Ranger and I'm gonna want the mods for Civ IV. Thanks for the input everyone :)

bobobob

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2007
QCassidy352 said:
I like Civ IV a lot, but it does get a bit repetitive after you play it through a few times. The biggest problem, IMO, is that it doesn't really seem possible to be peaceful and still win. Sure, you can win by some method other than conquest, but pretty much only if you beat at least a few other civs in to submission along the way. The world is just too crowded to develop a civ big enough to win, by any method, without a good deal of conquest (btw, I have nothing against conquest, it's probably the best part of Civ IV. but I think it's a little too necessary the way the game usually plays out).

If you sprawl out as much as you can early on, (especially sneaking a city or two into the cracks in someone else's empire) then make sure you have solid defense (two strong defenders per city is enough on lower diff), concentrate really heavily on culture in every city, and you can swamp the other civs. especially if you use great artists for culture bombs in new border cities. Voila! Victory, and you never wage a war of aggression.

PianoPete

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
Picked up AoE III today. The Mac Pro is due to be delivered tomorrow!!! I may just take the day off! I haven't had a new comp in 6 years and I'm quite excited about it!
:D :apple: :D :apple: :D :apple: :D :apple: :D :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.