Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
lol

So far, it's taken AOL about 9.0 attempts to get it right...but requiring users to pay for video conferencing (and for a ridiculous price - 15c/min.) just shows that AOL still doesn't "get it."

Bendit

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Before anyone panics, AOL won't be charging for current video conferencing features. They will add a multi user video conferencing feature for businesses that will cost money. Nothing will happen to iChat or home AIM users.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Bendit said:
Before anyone panics, AOL won't be charging for current video conferencing features. They will add a multi user video conferencing feature for businesses that will cost money. Nothing will happen to iChat or home AIM users.
I should hope not. iChat AV doesn't go through the AIM server. AIM is only used to identify the party at the other end and get an IP address. After that, the two sides connect directly to each other.

I'd like to see someoone propose a tech where AOL can collect money for a service that they're not providing.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Bendit said:

That was what I was scared it meant too, until I read the news article more carefully. OTOH I don't really use video chat much.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Knowing that AOL is going to do this, I wonder if Apple has thought about adding conferencing to their own iChat software (or another product). That would be a very nice service, and they wouldn't have to charge for it because it is only the price of the R&D (and a few other things). Or, they could make it only for .Mac users, but that wouldn't be fun.
–Chase

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
rendezvouscp said:
Knowing that AOL is going to do this, I wonder if Apple has thought about adding conferencing to their own iChat software
There was a rumor about this many months ago.

The rumor said that a future version of iChat would allow up to 8- (or maybe 16-way) voice conferencing and up to 4-way video conferencing. Supposedly, there were working prototypes in Apple.

As for when/if this is released, I have no idea.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
shamino said:
I should hope not. iChat AV doesn't go through the AIM server. AIM is only used to identify the party at the other end and get an IP address. After that, the two sides connect directly to each other.

I'd like to see someoone propose a tech where AOL can collect money for a service that they're not providing.

It's different services altogether. But if AOL can figiure away to charge you, you better believe they will. AOL/Time Warner blows :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.