Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
Well I need to raise money for a trip to Namibia in 2004, to help children, improve their schooling and trek the 2nd largest canyon in the world. This comes to £3000. Well I'm 16, and people aren't willing to hire me much. I live in a block of flats (apartments if you will) and I'm think of getting a descent speed internet line and setting up a wireless network. The apartments are new, 5 floors, I'm the top one. What sort of coverage can I expect to get through all these walls with 30 apartments, I will be hosting it off my Powermac, what basestation, does the airport really get the best reception?

Feel free to donate I NEED it BAD! I can give you details about that, I'll even provide you with an update on what's going on with our group, pictures until the day, the 3 week stay, and the return.

Any suggestions on hardware? Cards for pcs, and what os's they will work on?

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I would recommend that you check with your broadband provider (BT ?) first. Here in the US such a setup would be considered illegal. Not that people don't do it but.... The other consideration is that I believe I've heard people state that BT only allows so many MBs per month so that would limit how much access people would have. Not a problem if people are just surfing and emailing but it could be a problem if someone was downloading large files.

Here is a link to a search I did about wireless networks:

https://forums.macrumors.com/search...d=170444&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Good Luck!

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
If your apartment building is built anything like my dorm building was (and I presume that it probably is) then you are going to get about 50 feet of coverage through walls, maybe less.

Look around, I was doing tech work for companies and the goverment when I was 15, there are jobs out there, you just have to know the right people to get them.

Good luck,

BEN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.