Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon reveals that Apple's Aperture software tool will be released on November 30th. According to an email from Amazon to one of our users, this is the official release date, and will not ship until that time. Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com. I'm sorry if the
information you found under "Your Account" was unclear.

Although we do have your copy of "Apple Aperture Post Production Tool
for Photographers (Mac DVD)" on hand, we are not able to ship it to
you until its official release date, November 30, 2005. Many
manufacturers, publishers, and record labels restrict retailers from
selling or shipping their products until the official release date.

Please note that in some cases, such items may enter the shipping
process just prior to the release date. When possible, we do this to
ensure that you get the item as soon as possible after the release
date.

I hope this information is helpful. When your order is shipped,
we'll send you an e-mail message to let you know that it's on the way.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com.

Article Link: Aperture on November 30th?

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Sounds Right...... Apple.com is listing 1 week shipping time for Aperture.... Time to take advantage of my EDU Discount again. Just in time for the Arrival of my new Canon Digital Rebel XT :)

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
berkleeboy210 said:
Sounds Right...... Apple.com is listing 1 week shipping time for Aperture.... Time to take advantage of my EDU Discount again. Just in time for the Arrival of my new Canon Digital Rebel XT :)

Same as me m8...getting myself hooked up with aperature along with a my a new nikon...man this is going to be sweet :)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I can't wait to play with this at the Apple store. I still wonder if we are going to see elements of this app make its way into iPhoto in January or if we are going to see Aperture Express sometime in 2006. Oooo I just got all tingly at the thought.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
icloud said:
Same as me m8...getting myself hooked up with aperature along with a my a new nikon...man this is going to be sweet :)

I'm starting a new job and getting severance for the old one. I'm thinking that might go towards a Nikon D200. (then again I'm by and large a Canon fan so who knows.)
Aperture itself at $500 is still a little too rich for my blood. Sure for professionals its a drop in the bucket and many are going to snatch it up in a nanosecond, but for armature photographers $500 is a little too much. Here's hoping Apple makes Aperture Express next year. Maybe drop some of the features in project management, decrease the number of projects you can have, remove the importing features, remove some of the metadata support, removing some of the features in the print/publishing options all for the low, low price of $199. I'd pounce on that in a picosecond.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I don't have a RAW Digital camera, but the discount for students is so great, i'd be a fool dening myself the program :p

Wonder how well it will run on this 1.33Ghz iBook .... :p

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
I'm starting a new job and getting severance for the old one. I'm thinking that might go towards a Nikon D200. (then again I'm by and large a Canon fan so who knows.)
Aperture itself at $500 is still a little too rich for my blood. Sure for professionals its a drop in the bucket and many are going to snatch it up in a nanosecond, but for armature photographers $500 is a little too much. Here's hoping Apple makes Aperture Express next year. Maybe drop some of the features in project management, decrease the number of projects you can have, remove the importing features, remove some of the metadata support, removing some of the features in the print/publishing options all for the low, low price of $199. I'd pounce on that in a picosecond.
I was a Canon fan too, until I bought a high end film scanner and Canon didn't offer Mac drivers (for a USB device!) for years. I think they're there now, but I got fed up with Canon answering my "do you have drivers for OS X" with "yes we do" and a link to the XP drivers and picked up a shareware app to do the job.

Seeing that the difference between FCP and FCE is mostly in the formats supported, I think an Aperature Express would probably drop RAW support...

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
The juggernaut has begun - while I'm pretty excited about v 1, let's hang on for Aperture 2 which should take it a step farther after all that user feedback! :p

I seem to remember that FCP 1 was released in late 1999 (since 1.25 came out in May 2000), so with the 4 major updates, (plus 4.5 and other incremental ones) it looked like a major release about every year. Good for Apple's revenue stream, but also good for adding needed / requested features for the Pro user base.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Analog Kid said:
Seeing that the difference between FCP and FCE is mostly in the formats supported, I think an Aperature Express would probably drop RAW support...

Since Aperature's big draw is its RAW workflow, if they drop that all that's left anyway is a really finely polished version of iPhoto. iPhoto could take a few steps up before it gets too complicated for the casual user (or becomes too powerful to be included with iLife). Aperture Express could possibly exist in the fuzzy area between the two products, but I doubt it will show up for a while. Aperture hasn't even come out yet! Once it does, and Aperture 1.5 is on the way, we'll see. If iPhoto gets a major update with iLife '06, then any "Express" flavor of Aperture will have to wait a long time.:D

As for Aperture, I'd buy it now but I'm happy with my PPC PowerBook setup for now. Once the Intel models ship and Aperture is shown to work on the new PowerBooks, then I'll bite. If anything, there might be a 1.1 update by then. In the meantime I'm saving up for a new iPod and maybe a new digital camera.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
500$????

yeah that is steep

thank for for university discounts cutting the price in half :)

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
SpaceMagic said:
I don't have a RAW Digital camera, but the discount for students is so great, i'd be a fool dening myself the program :p

Wonder how well it will run on this 1.33Ghz iBook .... :p
Good joke, almost as funny as the minimum specs apple quote for the app. If people want to run it on a slower Mac and let everything take four years, it's up to them.

It doesn't bother me, but how about Aperture Express, apple?

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland
My copy from the Apple Store online is listed as shipping December 6th. Doesn't matter because my new Quad won't ship until Jan. 12th. The 7800 graphics card is the delay point.:mad:

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Anyone know if Aperture will be a Universal Binary? Sure would be nice if it is, and would point the way forward for future Apple application releases. Only Apple UB apps I know of at present are PhotoBooth and Xcode 2.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
drlunanerd said:
Anyone know if Aperture will be a Universal Binary? Sure would be nice if it is, and would point the way forward for future Apple application releases. Only Apple UB apps I know of at present are PhotoBooth and Xcode 2.

It would be stupid if it isn't, I'm sure it'd be a universal binary :rolleyes:

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
drlunanerd said:
I agree it would be stupid, but stupider things have happened out of Cupertino :rolleyes:
I noted a great preview in another thread based on the reviewer's trip to Cupertino and a long discussion with Aperture's software team.

Here's the link:
http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/prodtech/reviews/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001435191

"It’s also important to note that Aperture makes huge use of the power of the system’s graphics card, relying on GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) calls for its image processing prowess. This means that users with an older system but a newer card might see higher speeds than a user with a newer system but the entry-level graphics card. It also means that future Macs built around the Intel platform won’t suffer a performance hit due to the architecture’s lack of Velocity Engine, the subset of the processor that would be used for graphics tasks in the absence of a powerful graphics card."

So it appears that not only should the program move quite easily (it looks like it is being designed with the Intel move in mind), but that performance will not take the huge hit everyone is expecting for the Pro applications.

Edit - sorry for the broken link - it came from another post but wasn't checked!

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Analog Kid said:
<SNIP>

Well, given the fact that iPhoto currently supports RAW format, I can't imagine that an 'Aperture Express' could possibly get away with dropping RAW support. That would make it less compatible than iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.