Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Started to play around with my rMBP 2012 & High Sierra...

First try : I had a working Sierra setup with FileValut activated, did the upgrade (check APFS upgrade) and got stuck in a reboot/crash loop until I rebooted in safe mode and uninstalled the Sophos antivirus.
After that, everything worked (well I didn't test every single app, but didn't notice any problem).

Since it was a loaded setup (didn't reinstall for years, just upgraded every time), I wanted to see how it works from a fresh install... and there it begins :

- you can't install on an encrypted APFS partition : after reboot just a black screen with the mouse pointer shows up
- you can't convert an installed APFS partition to encrypted : activate FileVault stays grayed out in system preferences

Basically, the only way to have APFS encrypted so far is to install 10.12, activate FileVault and then upgrade.

b416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Who said the sky is falling? Just sharing my experience, not complaining...
I am fully aware that it's a first developer beta, and I deal with it. I have backups, and with a few workarounds, I managed to make it work like I wanted.

stefanwa

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Did anyone successfully resize an APFS partition? I now have an empty hfs+ partition and the APFS system partition on one drive and it doesn't let me delete the hfs+ one and resize the APFS to fill the whole drive...

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Did anyone successfully resize an APFS partition? I now have an empty hfs+ partition and the APFS system partition on one drive and it doesn't let me delete the hfs+ one and resize the APFS to fill the whole drive...

I made a 20 GB partition to install the beta, but I like the beta so much I want to resize the partition so it can be more useful to me. So far it doesn't seem to be possible. I might need to delete it and create a new larger partition. :( Might be worth it before I do too much with that partition.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
It generally takes years for a new filesystem to stabilize so that the bugs are shaken out and the performance issues are fully resolved. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple backtracks to using HFS+ on High Sierra for default installs. Maybe it'll be stable enough for mass adoption around 2020.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
It generally takes years for a new filesystem to stabilize so that the bugs are shaken out and the performance issues are fully resolved. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple backtracks to using HFS+ on High Sierra for default installs. Maybe it'll be stable enough for mass adoption around 2020.

Keep in mind that Apple developers have said that APFS has been designed to be forwards and backwards compatible without having to make major structural changes since it has been built in from day one. I'm sure that what ever features are missing in APFS that people want will eventually come to APFS now that it is a lot easier to add new filesystem features.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Apple backtrack.
That's a good one.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014

I'm fairly certain Apple knows what they're doing with the rollout. They're no chance they backtrack. Just because Filevault isn't enabled on the very first dev beta means nothing. Filevault is a consumer facing feature, not a dev feature.
[doublepost=1497850782][/doublepost]
They did reintroduce slotted memory on the 21.5" iMac. Maybe Apple is taking a leaf from Microsoft's book?

Not sure what Ram slots in a sealed enclosure has to do with Microsoft. It's probably just cheaper to use RAM slots instead of soldering it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.