Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

labyrinth153

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have been a bleeding edge tester for a long time until I switched to Mac. I settled down a little, but when I am told "fusion drives don't support apfs" I take that as a challenge.

Well.. They were right. It doesn't. My iMac 27" 2015 had a kernel panic during the conversion process, and I was left with an unbootable system. Reformatted, fresh installed, and tried the conversion again. It worked. Aha! Copied back all my data with migration assistant and I was back in business!

I had my suspicions on why it failed to boot. So I enabled file fault and let it do it's thing. Wouldn't you know, after a few hours the system hard locked and was again un-bootable. The error message in verbose boot clearly mentions being unable to find the encryption key to unlock the drive.

So really I think the problem is with encrypted fusion drives. Stick to hfs+ for now as encryption is absolute essential to me. My imac was stolen previously, and they would have had access to all of my personal information and financial records had I not enabled file vault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.