Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisHK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2017
Hi,

Pardon my question if this seems too basic... I am currently using a NAS Synology to share and store all my files (pictures, movies mainly). What will be the impact of upgrading to High Sierra? Will it still be compatible or should I wait Synology to release a new file system?

Chris

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
File sharing on the Synology use the SMB protocol with is totally independent from the file system. So it will work as before.

Also, having a type of file system (APFS or other) on your computer does not impact the type of the file system on your NAS.

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
Well, I wouldn't use samba + high sierra, because currently in Beta 1 Samba seems broken (at least for me), the connection is very unstable and extremely slow. But you can still use afp, I didn't have any problems with it on high sierra.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Well, I wouldn't use samba + high sierra, because currently in Beta 1 Samba seems broken (at least for me), the connection is very unstable and extremely slow. But you can still use afp, I didn't have any problems with it on high sierra.

Well, Samba has been gone from the OS for many years. Apple has their own native SMB stack that isn't using Samba.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
It's been working fine for me between 10.13 and a Synology. I haven't tried other servers.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Nonetheless it doesn't work properly right now.

I've seen articles that Apple has abandoned Samba to certain respects. Even Apple's own installers get corrupted when working on VMWare creating image directly over network.. (therefor i must only keep these on AFP external drive if i wish to install OS in Fusion.)

https://www.engadget.com/2011/03/24/apple-to-drop-samba-networking-tools-from-lion/

I have a QNAP and have the same problem.. Plus QNAP strips out special characters that are allowed on Apple Mac.... AFP/orSMB, doesn't really matter which way you connect on Mac.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
In my system smb is very slow while afp is superfast. I have a Synology NAS.

I can reach it on 10.13 with no problems. However don't expect that a beta system can do all you want.....

Do a speedtest to your NAS to decide what to use smb or afp.

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
The best way is to try both, do some transfer tests and chose the one that works the best. It could depends on the
environment. If you access your NAS through wifi or ethernet, type of NAS... I have a Synology DS212 from 2012 that is starting to show it's age, but accessing it through SMB via wifi seems fine in DP3 (lot better than DP1)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.