Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
I'm configuring a new Mac with three installations of 10.13. I've divided the SSD into three partitions within the same APFS container and installed 10.13 on each of them. All three installations are encrypted via FileVault.

One of the installations in particular needs to be absolutely free from malware etc, so no additional software will be installed there. And one of the installations is a test OS for new software etc.

Is there a cross-partition security risk when you have multiple installations/partitions within the same APFS container, i.e. if I get a virus or malware on one partition, could this 'spread' to any of the other two partitions, or installing something like a key logger? Would it be more secure to have each installation in its own APFS container?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

AriHuttunen

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Of course there's some risk, but I could not begin to estimate how much. Apple has not published the disk/file formats of APFS.

A second physical machine would have less risk, possibly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.