Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
Hi everyone,
My 2016 MBP has some weird hiccups in it so I want to try doing a clean install of macOS again, but I was wondering if converting to APFS required a complete reinstall of everything. I'm inbetween jobs right now so I have the time to do a clean install of everything, but hopefully by the time High Sierra comes out I'll be too employed to do a clean install.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi everyone,
My 2016 MBP has some weird hiccups in it so I want to try doing a clean install of macOS again, but I was wondering if converting to APFS required a complete reinstall of everything. I'm inbetween jobs right now so I have the time to do a clean install of everything, but hopefully by the time High Sierra comes out I'll be too employed to do a clean install.
No, a reformat shouldn't be required. I assume there may be bugs in this first preview but I converted 2 different MacBook Airs (2011 and 2012) to APFS without reformatting and without data loss.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i had no choose then to reformat my mac mini and now i am left with unable to install the operating system at all tried doing a time machine back up that never worked at all because i have changed the file format

i'am glad i have another machine with no beta on and it working fine with no problems at all

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
No, it doesn't, but honestly, do NOT install it on your production machine. Its extremely raw. Same for iOS/watchOS.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
No, it doesn't, but honestly, do NOT install it on your production machine. Its extremely raw. Same for iOS/watchOS.

After reading through these threads I wouldn't install this on any machine period. And here I thought the first round of Sierra betas were bad. This is ridiculous. This seems pre-alpha at best. Bugs fine, not show stoppers. jeeze Apple. This doesn't seem at all ready for beta testing yet. Is beta 2 installing any better?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
After reading through these threads I wouldn't install this on any machine period. And here I thought the first round of Sierra betas were bad. This is ridiculous. This seems pre-alpha at best. Bugs fine, not show stoppers. jeeze Apple. This doesn't seem at all ready for beta testing yet. Is beta 2 installing any better?

This is literally the first dev preview that was released like 2 days ago. Your expectations might be a bit high here ;)

Reactions: mikecwest

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States

It seems to mostly affect those without SSD's. It could be I'm just super lucky though, since I've had zero issues except for maybe some slight hiccups here and there.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
No issues on 2013 Mac Pro w/ 512GB SSD
No issues with 2016 tbMBP w/ 512GB SSD

I still have several other machines to check but as of now for the most part things are running good.

Both installs gave the option to check whether to convert to AFPS prior to continuing the upgrade to 10.13

I always do upgrades first to test for 1-2 weeks of daily use and then perform a fresh install so that I'm able to test when and if some bugs only show their face during a particular install.
Also I will always do a First Aid in Disk Utility prior to an upgrade and then immediately after an upgrade then a restart.
I've had instances where incorrect permissions on files prior to upgrading led to stranger problems after.
I'd like to see Apple implement this as a step in the installer, like a "Perform First Aid on disk" after that comes back good, proceed to install.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… first dev preview …

Not of APFS.

… expectations might be a bit high here ;)

Yes, and no, and some of what's above may be off-topic from HFS-to-APFS ;)

On one hand: I expect APFS to be reasonably well-developed after nine months or so of public beta testing.

On the other hand: I never really tested it, so I can't complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.