Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Hi all,
I was advised to have all volumes (external ones) converted to APFS, now that Fusion drives are.
How about my Time Capsule? How about any other USB stick or disk? And how?
Thanks for reading.
;JOOP!

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
It's not possible to use APFS on the Time Capsule disk. Regarding the other external disks, Time Machine disk needs to be HFS+, and for USB sticks it depends on what you need. If you don't use APFS new features or requires compatibility with older macOS versions or Windows and Linux I would not use APFS.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Interesting; then, would there be any risk, as my Mac will use APFS by default,
and any new Mac will simply come APFS formatted?
;JOOP!

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi

as Ritsuka has pointed out, Time Machine won't allow the disk that it uses to be APFS.

i have a Time Capsule.
after Mojave i thought i would like to make my Time Capsule be APFS formatted so I used Disk Utility to try to format it to APFS.
I didnt get any error, and it looked like it finished without any problem.
but when i checked to confirm the format it revered to HFS+.
it just won't allow it to be formatted as APFS.

likewise, i recently purchased a Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD (1TB). and it as well needs to be formatted as HFS+ for my 2nd Time Machine.

the good news is that there are no problems whatsoever with having yr mac formatted APFS and Time Machine formatted as HFS+.

by the way, the Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD (1TB) is really really fast and unbelievably tiny.
it is really a great solution to be able to take a Time Machine with you on the road.

the way that Time Machine works with 2 disks designated for Time Machine backups is to simply alternate the backups. really simple and working nicely.

thanks.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hi all,
I was advised to have all volumes (external ones) converted to APFS, now that Fusion drives are.
How about my Time Capsule? How about any other USB stick or disk? And how?
Thanks for reading.
;JOOP!

Who ever advised you of that is misinformed. There’s no reason to convert all your storage devices to APFS “just cuz”. As pointed out by others, Time Machine only works on HFS+ volumes, so that’s a no brainer.

As for any other USB stick or disk: APFS is not a transferable format, it’s unique to only Apple computers. So if you connect those devices occasionally to other OS’s or share files with others using those USB devices, APFS is not the format to use. If you don’t transfer or share those devices, its not gonna hurt to convert them to APFS—you know, if that sorta thing floats your boat—but not necessary.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
hi

as Ritsuka has pointed out, Time Machine won't allow the disk that it uses to be APFS.

i have a Time Capsule.
after Mojave i thought i would like to make my Time Capsule be APFS formatted so I used Disk Utility to try to format it to APFS.
I didnt get any error, and it looked like it finished without any problem.
but when i checked to confirm the format it revered to HFS+.
it just won't allow it to be formatted as APFS.

likewise, i recently purchased a Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD (1TB). and it as well needs to be formatted as HFS+.

the good news is that there are no problems whatsoever with having yr mac formatted APFS and Time Machine formatted as HFS+.

by the way, the Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD (1TB) is really really fast and unbelievably tiny.
it is really a great solution to be able to take a Time Machine with you on the road.

thanks.
Thanks for all this useful info. I feel at ease now.
;JOOP!
[doublepost=1540057869][/doublepost]
Who ever advised you of that is misinformed. There’s no reason to convert all your storage devices to APFS “just cuz”. As pointed out by others, Time Machine only works on HFS+ volumes, so that’s a no brainer.

As for any other USB stick or disk: APFS is not a transferable format, it’s unique to only Apple computers. So if you connect those devices occasionally to other OS’s or share files with others using those USB devices, APFS is not the format to use. If you don’t transfer or share those devices, its not gonna hurt to convert them to APFS—you know, if that sorta thing floats your boat—but not necessary.
I use SuperDuper! on all machines to copy the system-only to USB-sticks,
and they urged me to change to APFS;
I assume because of a full restore in case of emergencies.
About exchange to UNIX , LINUX or MSWindows: FAT is a very primitive format with very coarse time (even seconds).
;JOOP!

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Time Machine is really a mature technology now. and apple has it working really well.
i have learned that i can trust it.
but to be safe, whenever i update macOS to a new system (like from High Sierra to Mojave) i do completely erase the Time Machine data and start it again.
its probably being too careful but this works for me.
;JOOP!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Time Machine is really a mature technology now. and apple has it working really well.
i have learned that i can trust it.
but to be safe, whenever i update macOS to a new system (like from High Sierra to Mojave) i do completely erase the Time Machine data and start it again.
its probably being too careful but this works for me.
;JOOP!
Why did you sign MY name?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.