Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBe2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Cant find anything when searching the forums, maybe I am searching for the wrong thing.
Two months ago I installed High Sierra over my Sierra on an old Mac Pro. Then one month ago, my computer started glitching, first it stopped connecting to the internet. And when all else failed, I rebooted, and the APFS drive would not boot. Using the rescue partition did not work, fail with code 8, as I understand it, there is more than one partition on that drive. Yes, Sierra installed that. Backed up the drive which was readable from a Sierra installation, reinstalled and everything seemed ok. And now exactly one month later, boom, same thing. Is this a known issue?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm guessing it's more likely a problem with your Mac Pro.

EDIT:

Or the hard drive itself as @Juicy Box says. APFS is unlikely to be the problem.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Maybe your SSD might have some bad sectors in it.

I had similar issues twice.

Once with a Fusion Drive, that the HDD portion started to fail. Same thing as you, everything ran well, until weird bugs and glitches happened. Eventually the iMac would stop booting. I would wipe, and restore from a back up, only to have the problems happen again.

The Apple HW Diagnostic tool would show as everything was good, but I suspected problems with the Fusion Drive.

The iMac was under AC warranty, and I kept taking to the Apple Store, they would run their tests using their HW diagnostic tools, it would always pass, so they would wipe the drive, I would restore from my back up, but the problem kept coming back.

First after a few months, then a few weeks, then a few days, the issues kept coming back after each wipe, but sooner and sooner.

I was really frustrated with the Apple Store, as I was convinced it was the HDD, but they refused to replace it because the HDD would pass their tests.

12 days before my AC warranty was up, the HDD fully failed, and failed hard. I couldn't even boot from an external drive, recovery, internet recovery. The failure messed with the boot loader I think.

After many trips, paying tolls each time, I finally took it to the Apple store for the last time. They couldn't get their Diagnostic tools to work, but after two hours of trying, they got the tool to work and it showed the HDD as failing.

They replaced the HDD, and the problem went away.

The other time I had the issue was with the same Late 2012 iMac, but an external Samsung X5 TB3 NVMe drive. It worked fine for a long time, but corrupted after about a year. Wiping it, and restoring would lead to the drive corrupting again about a month later.

I ended up switching to a different, larger external, and never troubleshooted. I didn't have the issue with the other SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.