Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DuncanGarp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Other than the obvious (security aspects), what other advantages are there for having a Mojave boot drive formatted APFS encrypted? Thanks for any input.

Reactions: BookEmDanno

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Does Mojave finally encrypt by default? That'd be something to add to the "pro" column. Won't be installing it until at least 14.3, of course, so am still making up the list.

On a modern Mac, there are zero reasons not to enable FileVault by default.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Does Mojave finally encrypt by default? That'd be something to add to the "pro" column. Won't be installing it until at least 14.3, of course, so am still making up the list.

On a modern Mac, there are zero reasons not to enable FileVault by default.

My understanding (which I am not 100% sure about) is that unlike HFS+, APFS supports encryption. Not the same as being encrypted. One consequence of this is that when you turn FileVault on the machine does not have to restart, which it did with HFS to convert to CoreStorage.

In other words APFS volumes are not encrypted by default (which seems to be a not-uncommon view), you still have to turn on FileVault.

Of course APFS has been with us since High Sierra, I don't think Mojave changes the above.

Last edited:

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
Other than the obvious (security aspects), what other advantages are there for having a Mojave boot drive formatted APFS encrypted? Thanks for any input.

One of the "additional" advantage of encryption is when you "physically" lose your Mac. Should protect your data/information on that Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.