Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Just trying to better understand my encryption options in High Sierra.

Seems you can chose from HFS+ encrypted, APFS encrypted, or turn on filevault.

Also, checking to see if I can encrypt a USB Flash Drive, I wasn't able to erase it with an encrypted file system, like I can under Sierra( 10.12 ). I suppose because the disk wasn't GUID, but there was no option to make the disk GUID in the High Sierra Disk Utility.

I had to boot Sierra, and use that Disk Utility to formate the drive GUID. Does anyone know where this functionality has gone in High Sierra?

Anyway, what is the most secure from of encryption in High Sierra, FileVault 2, APFS Encrypted, HFS+ encrypted?

Would turning on FileVault 2 on and APFS Encrypted volume add any extra security to that drive?

Also, I'm not sure what good it is to encrypt an external drive, such as a USB Flash Drive, if it is only readable on another Mac. I like to keep my USB Flash Drives Fat32 with MBR, so I know they are readable on any OS. Apple seems to be missing the boat on this, Fat32 and MBR are a standard way every USB flash drive I ever got came formatted, switching to GUID and HFS+ or APFS encryption means you will only be able to read them on a Mac.

What gives?

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
There is already a thread for this that has the answers you seek.
I see, thanks, that answers most of my questions, however I'm still left with trying to figure out the best encryption scheme for my USB flash drives.

It seems VeraCrypt may work for me, but I don't know about using it under the Chrome OS, as I use a Chromebook too, tho there is a version built on the Chromebook, so I'll have to see if that will work for me, as I do have linux installed in a Chroot on the Chromebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.