Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mayank18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
I am curious to know what kind of encryption is offered by APFS. Is hard disk encrypted by default? (If so, does it ask your password in the beginning while installing macos high sierra?)

I have also heard that APFS supports single file or directory encryption. Has anyone tried it? How can we achieve it?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… single file or directory encryption. … How can we achieve it?

I don't know, sorry.

There's also per-extent encryption. See https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/23019603 and other posts under Introducing Apple File System (APFS).

Do any of you guys can turn on fileVault with APFS? I can't since day one on high Sierra. I unlock the menu but the "turn on FileVault" stays greyed out. I thought that since APFS comes with file encryption, FileVault was not needed anymore...

I enabled FileVault with APFS with 17A264c. With fdesetup(8), not with System Preferences.

I formatted the drive, so I lost FileVault from Sierra. I tried to turn it on with no success and I thought that it was due to the fact that APFS is always encrypted …

Encryption is optional.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.