Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi.

I want to update my iPhone SE and my iPad Air from iOS 10.2 to iOS 10.3. I'd like to perform a clean install, restoring each device, rather than installing the update and changing the filesystem with all the files and apps inside.

So, i want to install iOS 10.3 from scratch. Do you think the conversion to the APFS will be done successfully if I format an iOS 10.2 device? It is better to just make the update?

Thank you.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't really seem like it would make much of a difference one way or another under normal circumstances.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you want iOS 10.3 downloaded in its entirety than update through iTunes. None of your data will be lost.

If you want the patch update use the OTA update.

If you want to start fresh then restore as new with the iOS 10.3. You'll obviously lose all your data and need to start from scratch (basic stuff can be sync'd).

None of these or better, first 2 are much more convenient though.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Thank you.

What I meant to do is to plug my device to my Mac and erase and restore installing the new version of iOS, 10.3. By doing this, do you think the APFS will be implemented correctly?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you.

What I meant to do is to plug my device to my Mac and erase and restore installing the new version of iOS, 10.3. By doing this, do you think the APFS will be implemented correctly?
APFS is implemented perfectly fine by just upgrading on the device. There is no need to wipe the phone to get APFS.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
APFS is implemented perfectly fine by just upgrading on the device. There is no need to wipe the phone to get APFS.

Ok, I know there's no need to wipe the phone to get APFS. But it happens to be that now, I think it is a good moment to perform a clean install, and keep the phone that way for quite a long time (because I have some 32bit only apps that I want to keep using).

So, provided I want to make a clean install, restoring the devices... The APFS will be well implemented with that installation?

That's all, I know I can succesfully change the file system with an update but I just don't want to make it that way.

Suspended
Mar 31, 2017
It is better to just make the update?

Whenever there is an incremental update, I update OTA and then factory reset it and restore from iCloud. Whenever there is a version update I download and update through iTunes. I still will do a factory reset and restore. I am not sure why I do this, but I always have.

Reactions: Populus

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So, provided I want to make a clean install, restoring the devices... The APFS will be well implemented with that installation?
It doesn't make a difference; with either an update, clean install, or erase and restore, you end up with the same APFS.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
It doesn't make a difference; with either an update, clean install, or erase and restore, you end up with the same APFS.

I tend to agree. I've only seen a couple of instances where the OTA update created an unstable device. We always just update (after waiting a few weeks for all the early adopters to post their complaints or praise)

Reactions: Populus

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
There is no reason to fresh install as already mentioned. APFS will convert just fine via the update. But it sounds like that's what you want to do anyway so go for it. But you will gain no benefit from doing so. The choice is yours.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Okay, thanks to all of you who answered my doubts :)

I'll perform a clean install, and leave the devices as they are for a year or two.
Hopefully iOS 10.3 won't have many bugs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.