Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jobesucks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
As above if I want to copy a file to the root of the system drive it constantly asks for password. Is this expected behaviour, off so how can I disable this.

Cheers

Giancarlo

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Canada - Hamilton
Same here. I am prompted for the password for each and every single file I try to copy to the MacIntosh HD. Also, apps no longer have access to it either. Tried Black magic and could not access it. Tried to change to Read/Write for everyone and received: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission."

Reactions: RUQRU

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
... Also, apps no longer have access to it either. Tried Black magic and could not access it. Tried to change to Read/Write for everyone and received: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission."

Yes, I was trying to find information about this. It seems you would have to disable System Integrity Protection to get this to work. So maybe Blackmagic will fix the app.

jobesucks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Sorted it, under sharing and permissions my account was not there only sysyte, wheel and everyone. Added my account set to read and write and now works.
What about all other apps that need to write to the system then?
They were always ok, just not letting me write to root folder, could write to home folder ok also. Yours sounds like you need to repair permissions

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
Sorted it, under sharing and permissions my account was not there only sysyte, wheel and everyone. Added my account set to read and write and now works.

They were always ok, just not letting me write to root folder, could write to home folder ok also. Yours sounds like you need to repair permissions

For a user to NOT be able to write directly to the root of the boot volume is normal. At least in Mac OS, BSD and Linux and most UN*X (if not all) systems.

In fact, Mac OS Sierra was the same way. And if you were able to write directly to the root of your boot volume as a standard (even Administrative) user without authentication would mean that you or someone or something else changed that permission at an earlier date (maybe it inherited lenient permissions from a prior Mac OS version, I can't tell you).

I have a 1 month old MBP that shipped with Sierra and is still running Sierra and it acts just like this, I must authenticate to move a file to the root of the filesystem.

Reactions: Apple_Robert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.