Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
So what happen if I upgraded my Macbook Pro to High Sierra? Will the SSD be converted to APFS on the fly? Or does APFS only apply to first time clean install? I want the pros of APFS, but I don't like clean installing the OS on my Mac as it is a day-to-day tool so I cannot really afford to spend too much time clean installing and restoring my data.

As far as I know, one cannot just switch file system on the fly, so I'm wondering what magic Apple is going to do.

FatalFallacy

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
afps convert is done on the fly, anyhow keep in mind that your recovery partition will stick to your old macOS release version when doing a high sierra upgrade install and a recovery partition update is not available (yet).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
keep in mind that your recovery partition will stick to your old macOS release version when doing a high sierra upgrade install and a recovery partition update is not available (yet).
This isn't accurate. When you run a 10.13 beta installer, the recovery partition gets updated to the version of the 10.13 beta.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
"On the fly" means that you can use the system while conversion is going on in the background. It doesn't do that, it converts when you install and takes time to do so.

It sounds like you're asking if a reformat/reinstall is required, which is a different question others already answered.

Reactions: Nermal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.