Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicbike68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2022
Hi everyone. I’m really new to Macs so please forgive my naivety. I recently bought a 2017 MacBook Air i5 (as I was getting fed up with windows), which came running High Sierra. I wanted it to run Monterey so I downloaded the update but got the message that the drive wasn’t formatted APFS. So…I watched a YouTube video on how to do it (big mistake) and now when I switch on I get a file image with a question mark which flashes. So I guess I need to mount the drive but just can’t figure out how. Again forgive my stupidity

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I get a file image with a question mark which flashes.

That means that the system is unable to boot as it can't find the OS on the disk drive. Your can install the OS by booting into various Recovery modes by holding down the Command-R, Option-Command-R, or Option-Shift-Command-R when powering on.

Reactions: magicbike68

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Or - even better - download the Monterey installer, and use that to create a bootable installer on an external USB drive. Finally, boot to that installer and choose your internal drive as the destination. The installer will change your system drive to APFS, if it is not already, during the install process.

Reactions: magicbike68

magicbike68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2022
Or - even better - download the Monterey installer, and use that to create a bootable installer on an external USB drive. Finally, boot to that installer and choose your internal drive as the destination. The installer will change your system drive to APFS, if it is not already, during the install process.
How do I download the installer to a USB without something to download to?

magicbike68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2022
That means that the system is unable to boot as it can't find the OS on the disk drive. Your can install the OS by booting into various Recovery modes by holding down the Command-R, Option-Command-R, or Option-Shift-Command-R when powering on.
Ok. I can get into Utilities but when I highlight the drive I need, where & how do I mount it? Under the tab there’s only un-mount

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Ok. I can get into Utilities but when I highlight the drive I need, where & how do I mount it? Under the tab there’s only un-mount
You don’t want to mount the drive, you want to install the os … which should be an option as well before you get to utilities.

The problem now is you are trying to use and approach the problem as if it was windows. They do things differently. Not meaning to be harsh.

Hence why one person recommended you bring it in to the Genius Bar. Small steps first.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

You're looking for the option "Reinstall MacOS" not mount. You don't want to bring up Utilities unless you want to wipe the drive. Don't have access to an Intel Machine now to demonstrate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.