Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
It's a native instant messenger for the iPhone. I saw it on the Installer.app list tonight and gave it a shot. It kept giving me a "connection failed" error. Anyone else have any luck with it? Or is it known to not be working yet?

hxe3333

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
I got it working on wifi. You have to activate on the setting other than signin.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
I set my account to be the active account. Still giving me a connection error. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Isn't just using meebo on the web the easiest thing to do?

Nah, I'd rather have a native version of a chat application. Websites can come and go (although Meebo probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon) but a native app will be around for as long as it's installed on my phone.

I'd also like to still be able to receive messages when I put my phone in standby mode (I realize FlickIM does this, but I'm not a fan of how it puts up an away message).

racemize

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
oh man, this thing is buggy. I've posted a bunch of issues on the google code site, btu if you install it now you will be beta testing.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
oh man, this thing is buggy. I've posted a bunch of issues on the google code site, btu if you install it now you will be beta testing.

You mean, it just came out yesterday and they don't have a fully functional release yet?!?! What's wrong with these people!? :rolleyes:

racemize

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
You mean, it just came out yesterday and they don't have a fully functional release yet?!?! What's wrong with these people!? :rolleyes:

haha, I wasn't insulting it, I was just letting everyone know. I've posted all the issues I can find to help out the developer, but right now it crashes if start or receive an IM =p.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Apollo OK so far..

Well I have used this for a couple of conversations and here are my thoughts. The conversation seemed to want to default toward the top, so it was sometimes difficult to see new messages from my buddy. It was like I had to scroll down a little to keep up with conversation, which was annoying. Also, the keyboard is slightly clipped off at the bottom which was annoying, but didn't cause any issues. Overall Apollo is okay and is what I'd expect from a beta. I love the idea of it being native and on my phone. With a few fixes this will be awesome.

badtz

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Los Angeles, CA.
Hopefully the app can...

(1) receive messages via edge/wifi when on standby [not sure if it's technically possible, does mail check when it's in standby?]

(2) can allow phone calls through [suspend EDGE] and re-connect after call is done without disconnecting the AIM session

I've resisted using IM on the iPhone because of these two reasons :) hopefully this program [if possible] can fix these :)

racemize

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
yes, that functionality is coming (suspend mode and vibrate notify), also you should post all your comments on the google code page for apolloIM so that the developer can see them (I've already posted the keyboard / scrolling bug, and the IM buddies list bug (it has to do with whether you have aliases, if you do they don't show up)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.