Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
After the latest update, in comparison to my original APP, I found the NC is not good. I was a fan of the original noise cancellation. Then I bought a pair of Nothing ear buds for my OnePlus 9 Pro and was surprised at how much better at NC they were than the APP.

So I did some comparing.

I found at the best my APP with the latest updates does worse for NC than a pair of basic silicone or foam ear plugs.
I also find that over time, they become worse. I can put them in for NC only and after about an hour I find that more of the background noise filters through. L:Ike they decrease in effectiveness over time.

How are others finding the APP?
Any tips or tricks that could improve these?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
There as good as my old Bose QC-25's.. I'm sure newer over-ear phones are much better but I wouldn't expect APP's to outperform them anyway

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I don’t either. My B&O are awesome.
Still, I was surprised at how poor the APP are.
Well when compared to my AirPods 1st gen they're a night and day difference in all respects so I'm satisfied with their performance. I just got my Pro's around Christmas so I haven't had the opportunity to hear what has changed in noise canceling over the different firmwares since they were released. I've heard many say the original firmware had excellent noise canceling compared to other versions

Reactions: dk001

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
It is not good. Sometimes i feel its making no difference.
Ear wax and dirt affect ANC over time as well. Reducing the effect.
Overall though after using Max, I find AirPods Pro okay for their purpose, which is decent-ish audio in ultraportable format with some anc.

using comply tips might help with sealing better, but they are a hassle to put on and replace frequently.
you could also try a replacement via apple if that free program is still active. No matter what you do, new ones will cancel sound much better than old ones.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
It is not good. Sometimes i feel its making no difference.
Ear wax and dirt affect ANC over time as well. Reducing the effect.
Overall though after using Max, I find AirPods Pro okay for their purpose, which is decent-ish audio in ultraportable format with some anc.

using comply tips might help with sealing better, but they are a hassle to put on and replace frequently.
you could also try a replacement via apple if that free program is still active. No matter what you do, new ones will cancel sound much better than old ones.

Perhaps however my APP are new (puppy chewed my old ones :eek:) and I am finding these new ones are pretty much the same as my older pair.

Sadly.

BATman.Berlin

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
California
I was fed up with ANC getting worse and worse. After the latest update I could not even pass a simple fit test. I finally gave up and grabbed a pair of Bose QC earbuds on sale. Not only do they fit better and sound ways better, the ANC is a whole different level.

Reactions: dk001

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I was fed up with ANC getting worse and worse. After the latest update I could not even pass a simple fit test. I finally gave up and grabbed a pair of Bose QC earbuds on sale. Not only do they fit better and sound ways better, the ANC is a whole different level.
Fit test fail was sign airpods failed for me. They should replace for free If you’re willing to make the effort.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
their msin selling point is easy of use/connectivity. Which until h1w1 chips come in other brands will remain monopoly

The literal title of this thread is "APP and Noise Cancellation: How Good is it Really"

...thus the comments specifically about the noise cancellation and comparisons to some alternatives

The other features of APP aren't relevant to this specific thread discussion

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
It’s excellent at masking some sounds and almost useless for others. I am overall very impressed and you can get lost in your own world with them in many situations. I’d say they punch above their weight for a non-sealed earphone. Definitely very clever but really will depend on use case. For me it’s about being able to work from home and for that it’s excellent - voices and turbo trainer sounds for example are totally cancelled. A loud knock on the door not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.