Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2018
Is there anything that can display the duration and distance of your most recent Workout?

I can get the cumulative duration of all today’s workouts via Healthface, but that’s not really any use as I tend to track my warmups too...and Healthface doesn’t give me the distance from the workout either.

Any ideas?? Do any if the running apps display workout history perhaps, but pulled from Health so would display data from Workouts created by other apps??

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Yes heart analyzer app can display quite a few recent workouts on the watch independent of which app was used. But only a few details and HR graph.

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2018
Yes heart analyzer app can display quite a few recent workouts on the watch independent of which app was used. But only a few details and HR graph.

Thanks...Heart Analyzer displays distance and also time on the watch, but only to the nearest minute, which is mostly useful but would like seconds!. Hoping/assuming that Heart Analyzer can grab the data directly from the watch (like Healthface) straight after a workout rather than needing to have synced to phone first...will find out tonight!

Wish there was a better app that provided something like the Events screen (only) of Heart Analyzer...but this is certainly a start.

I did notice that “Workout History Display” was in the WatchOS6 word cloud, hope that will provide this function, although I have a horrible feeling it will be limited to workouts created by Apples Workout app ☹️

Last edited:

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Thanks...Heart Analyzer displays distance and also time on the watch, but only to the nearest minute, which is mostly useful but would like seconds!. Hoping/assuming that Heart Analyzer can grab the data directly from the watch (like Healthface) straight after a workout rather than needing to have synced to phone first...will find out tonight!

Wish there was a better app that provided something like the Events screen (only) of Heart Analyzer...but this is certainly a start.

I did notice that “Workout History Display” was in the WatchOS6 word cloud, hope that will provide this function, although I have a horrible feeling it will be limited to workouts created by Apples Workout app ☹️
I agree and also noticed the feature coming in watchos6.

It is strange that workout apps are capable of it. They all give a summary when stopping. Especially Workoutdoors has a very advanced and interactive summary, but all is gone once you press done and you have to check the phone app to see the details again.

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
I agree and also noticed the feature coming in watchos6.

It is strange that workout apps are capable of it. They all give a summary when stopping. Especially Workoutdoors has a very advanced and interactive summary, but all is gone once you press done and you have to check the phone app to see the details again.

The next version of WorkOutDoors will allow you to analyse previous workouts on the watch. You will be able to display the same summary that it currently shows when ending a workout (with maps, profiles, splits etc).

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
The next version of WorkOutDoors will allow you to analyse previous workouts on the watch. You will be able to display the same summary that it currently shows when ending a workout (with maps, profiles, splits etc).
Very very nice :) I was thinking it might have been a limitation from Apple.

It is already the best Apple Watch app and look forward indoor activities :)
(I really hope you also add real-time monitoring on the phone as I have previous suggested in your workoutdoors thread (fingers crossed). That would make it perfect in my eyes. Even if it cost a bit extra, since I currently have FITIV pulse subscription just for this single feature, which annoys me bit)

Reactions: cfc

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
Very very nice :) I was thinking it might have been a limitation from Apple.

It is already the best Apple Watch app and look forward indoor activities :)
(I really hope you also add real-time monitoring on the phone as I have previous suggested in your workoutdoors thread (fingers crossed). That would make it perfect in my eyes. Even if it cost a bit extra, since I currently have FITIV pulse subscription just for this single feature, which annoys me bit)

Several people have asked for real-time monitoring on the iPhone. It would be quite a lot of work to do it properly (with full screen configuration etc), but the upside is that the potential audience would grow massively by including iPhone owners who do not have an Apple Watch.

However is not in my short term plans because I am still concentrating on making the app as good as possible on the watch. Sorry about that. The increased audience is very tempting though, so I will probably add it at some time in the future.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Several people have asked for real-time monitoring on the iPhone. It would be quite a lot of work to do it properly (with full screen configuration etc), but the upside is that the potential audience would grow massively by including iPhone owners who do not have an Apple Watch.

However is not in my short term plans because I am still concentrating on making the app as good as possible on the watch. Sorry about that. The increased audience is very tempting though, so I will probably add it at some time in the future.
Not the answer I wanted, but I understand. I hoped it wasn’t that much work, I am really just looking for a simple remote display (primarily HR info), not full featured standalone workout functionality. But I understand your motivation if that can increase the target audience. Whatever you do, don’t compromise quality and stability over features :)

And sorry to OP for going off-topic.

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2018

And presumably before you get to the “detailed summary” info, there will be some kind of scrollable selector where you just see the summary info from all workouts that are on the watch? (Ideally with time (including seconds), distance, and perhaps average pace?)

In the meantime I’m using a messy combo of Healthface to see the time of my last run, and Heart Analyzer to pull back the distance! (Yup, I know I could just leave WorkOutdoors on the summary screen, but I have a habit of clicking “done”!)...really I should be able to remember this info when someone asks me barely 2 minutes after finishing!

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
And presumably before you get to the “detailed summary” info, there will be some kind of scrollable selector where you just see the summary info from all workouts that are on the watch? (Ideally with time (including seconds), distance, and perhaps average pace?)

In the meantime I’m using a messy combo of Healthface to see the time of my last run, and Heart Analyzer to pull back the distance! (Yup, I know I could just leave WorkOutdoors on the summary screen, but I have a habit of clicking “done”!)...really I should be able to remember this info when someone asks me barely 2 minutes after finishing!

Yes, there is a list of past workouts that shows distance, time and average bpm for each one (tap for the full summary) but I may add average pace as well now that you have mentioned it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.