Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I had this app I had bought before but which is pretty big, I don't really have the possibility to download it, sadly.

I originally had it on my iPhone, but I'd like to have it on my iPad now. (it's a game actually)

I have a new computer, so I haven't loaded my old OSX-Backups into it already. Therefore, my iOS-Backups are in my old Time-Machine backup.

So I went into that old Time Machine backup and then into User —> Music —> iTunes —> iTunes Media —> Mobile Applications. There it was, the app. I copied it into the same folder on my current computer.

But when I went into iTunes, it didn't appear there. Is this made so we can't steal and share apps? I thought there would be a system that recognizes the Apple ID or so. It's quite annoying, is there no way to get this app again without downloading it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jon-PDX

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Pacific NW - USA
Although I haven't tried this here's a suggestion.

Move the app out of the folder and put it on your desktop. Then open up iTunes and drag the app to iTunes and see if iTunes will import it. I know that works with other files like video and music so hopefully that will also work with the app.

If that doesn't work I'm not sure what your other options would be.

Jon...

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Just adding it to the apps folder isn't enough as iTunes doesn't scan for changes. Do what Jon-PDX suggested.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
So I went into that old Time Machine backup and then into User —> Music —> iTunes —> iTunes Media —> Mobile Applications. There it was, the app. I copied it into the same folder on my current computer.

Don't put it there; put it in iTunes Media -> Automatically Add to iTunes. That'll make iTunes "index" it (and it'll automatically move it into Mobile Applications once that's done).

Alternatively you can drag it into the iTunes window as Jon-PDX suggested (or onto the iTunes Dock icon).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.