Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Hi
I have a simple problem with my Apple TV, and I cannot find a solution.

I have several network streams that I'm using that I would like to be able to save and watch on my Apple TV. I was hoping to find an app where I can save the streams and add their names (and if possible a profile picture). This is usually a streams of reoccurring events.

For now, the only thing I found that somehow works, is to import the stream in the VLC app and watch it there. The VLC app saves the link for a while (it is only a temporary save), but you cannot add any name or other description, so every time I have to search for the right stream (I mean if someone knows a way to save permanently the stream and add a description, I would be more than happy using the VLC).

I'm looking to find if there are any suggestions for alternative apps, preferably that can function stand-alone on the Apple TV (that will not require access to my MacBook or a NAS device), that offer similar functionality to VLC plus options to organize the list of URLs in a more coherent way, like offering the option to add a name/description to each URL/stream.

Last edited:

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
(This is an old post, that I've added a comment to bring it back in the front page, with the hope someone will come forward with a suggestion!)

Casey Royals

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Open the App Store on your Apple TV and do a search for RTSP you will find a bunch of apps that view RTSP to view streams. RTSP is the most common protocol for viewing streams, it’s what VLC uses.

Reactions: coolajami

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Open the App Store on your Apple TV and do a search for RTSP you will find a bunch of apps that view RTSP to view streams. RTSP is the most common protocol for viewing streams, it’s what VLC uses.
Thank you, this was a good suggestion as I found some apps that I didn’t know and one or two seem to work.

I found multiple apps that work as RTSP or IPTV streamers, but most of them are reading the .m3u8 format as playlist as direct streaming address. It is a bit of miss and hit, I trully don’t understand why some apps think that the address is a playlists of streams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.