Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Is there any simple way of purging memory useage from apps that shouldn't need Gb of storage on the data front?

Certain apps and games seem to just build more and more data in starage as time goes on.
Even apple apps, like mail, I keep my emails fairly clean, and it says there's 2Gb of user data when there clearly isn't.

I have very few games, but the few I have are now up to a few Gb each in user data, but there's nothing new comapred to when last installed. Certainly not Gbs of history data needed.

Then other apps like facebook, messenger, instagram, I dont use as many do, and only use to see what family are doing, again a few Gb each app.

In the past I've deleted apps and reinstalled, that brings the data back down to near zero with no noticable effect on the app viewing or playing. It seems extreme to have to do this to all apps every now and then when iOS should have a simple purge option.

And off load is pointless, delete the app and keep the dat awhen the app is a fraction of the user data.

Last edited:

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I've never really had any issues with app data getting too large, apart from Apple Music which is terrible for it (despite only streaming and never downloading tracks). You can fix this by toggling sync library off then on.

Removing apps and installing them again has worked for me in the past too...it's hardly "extreme".

Personally, I'm not bothered and wouldn't be unless my iPhone was running out of space.

Last edited:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I've just tried this on my iPhone 13 - it did nothing to clear the app cache.
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. You’re worry about storage instead of RAM. If that’s the case, I’d restore from fresh (reset all setting and restore from iCloud). Just be aware that not all apps are still downloadable (few of them may be pulled out from App Store - even you have purchased them).

Reactions: Helmsley

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. You’re worry about storage instead of RAM. If that’s the case, I’d restore from fresh (reset all setting and restore from iCloud). Just be aware that not all apps are still downloadable (few of them may be pulled out from App Store - even you have purchased them).

Fair enough. I don't believe there's a way to see RAM usage on iOS is there?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I use this. Not sure how much accurate because I read somewhere that iOS limited admin tasks like checking free memory.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Removing apps and installing them again has worked for me in the past too...it's hardly "extreme".
I view it as extreme, as the solution would be delete it all and start again.
If I delete and app and for the next few weeks it's only taking up Mb instead of Gb then the system is bad, and there should be a purging option rather than assuming every had Terabytes on their phone.

It should be pretty simple to tell any app to purge its cache and keep important data.

Every ios seems to take up mre and more, as well as ios taking up 10Gb, I have system data of 11Gb. I've had mac osx systems that took less. And an extra 2Gb of "Sync'd media" all with no descritpion when to go into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.