Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
My wife and I use family sharing to share apps on our iDevices. Today she showed me a message she got when trying to open Calengoo. It said that that app was no longer being shared with her and gave her the option to either cancel or go to the app store, where it wants to charge her $6.99 for the app. I have checked the settings on both of our devices and family sharing still seems to be turned on as far as I can tell.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
My wife and I use family sharing to share apps on our iDevices. Today she showed me a message she got when trying to open Calengoo. It said that that app was no longer being shared with her and gave her the option to either cancel or go to the app store, where it wants to charge her $6.99 for the app. I have checked the settings on both of our devices and family sharing still seems to be turned on as far as I can tell.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Yes, even called Apple iTunes Store support. Every app that was purchased on the family plan, if it gets uninstalled for any reason on a device not actually on the main Apple ID, buy again. Even worse, all the data, if there is any, gone. The Data is gone even on free apps. End of call, shoulder shrug by Apple iTunes Store support.

Family Plan is really a Very Limited Sharing Plan. Good for families where everyone has a seperate Apple ID and need very little in the way of sharing. Examples, Calendar, Notes, Photos, Pages, Numbers, all require a seperate step to share. Not like a shared Apple ID, where Photos for example, get populated to every device. What were doing as a couple, one iPhone on a seperate Apple ID for the odd one out, me. All the rest of the systems share Apple ID. Anything important, say Health App, will now work. The downside, the odd one out iPhone is difficult to use for the Family Share Data. Can be done but a pain.

Sum it up, Apple has a very convoluted system for sharing. If one cheats and shares an Apple ID, could loose data in certain Apps like Health and mess up things like Messages. The days of easy Apple Ecosystem, Gone.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife and I share quite a few apps on a family plan. Yes, this has happened quite a bit over the last year. I'll go open an application and it'll tell me that it is no longer available. I have to delete the damned thing, reinstall it and it works again. Just have to go to the App Store - My Purchases --> And then go to my wife's purchases and download again after uninstalling. This has worked so far. And it has only happened 3-4 times.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Sorry to resurrect this.... But I'm having this issue of a purchased app - literally just purchased today - appearing happily on one of my kid's iPads, but not on the other kid's iPad. This, as I'm sure you can imagine, is thus causing me a massive headache!

Has this issue re-reared its head recently? What's the work around?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Sorry to resurrect this.... But I'm having this issue of a purchased app - literally just purchased today - appearing happily on one of my kid's iPads, but not on the other kid's iPad. This, as I'm sure you can imagine, is thus causing me a massive headache!

Has this issue re-reared its head recently? What's the work around?
So what happens when try to manually download the app on your other kid's iPad. What does it indicate? I have it setupped that I manually need to download the app on all my kids iPads and then I have to confirm the (re)purchase on my iDevice and then it starts downloading and confirms it was bought with another account. I do want to note that I'm always the one who purchases the app in the family. Not one of the other kids.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Inexplicably - the game started working yesterday afternoon.

Nothing I did caused it to start working.

I am putting it down to Apple...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.