Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manek43509

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
Just noticed a bit of a weird thing going on… I have a Mac Pro in my studio which I use for my work, and it has two user accounts; my own user account which I work on (which is the admin account) plus a 'public' account for when other people hire my studio to work in (which happens occasionally). Obviously some of the apps needs to be accessible on both accounts. One app I have installed opens perfectly fine on my (admin) account, but when I try to launch it on the 'public' account, I get an error message which says 'You can't open the application because it is not supported on this type of Mac'.

It clearly is supported on 'this type of Mac' since I can login on the same machine with my own account and run this app without any issues! But it will not launch from the other user account, and that is extremely weird. I have checked permissions in Get Info and made sure all users can 'Read & Write' this particular application… Still no luck!

Anyone have any ideas?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I've had a similar situation with Avid software .

This software comes with a license limited to 3 devices and is very picky about any changes to the device.
Apparently this software is bound to a device, a user account and even the drive UUID is registered.
So e.g. cloning all software to a new drive on the same device didnt work and meant that I had to unregister and uninstall the app before cloning and reinstall and register with the new disk ID afterwards...
I could have just reinstalled it but that implies that I would lose 1 of 3 licenses...
Also opening the app from another user account doesnt work.

I guess you're in a similar boat...
I dont know what app is the issue in your case, but I'd contact support of the software developer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.