Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I still do not understand how this works exactly. I am using AdGuard Pro DNS to block traffic but I still see a lot of traffic going in and out of app XY. Shouldn't it be blank if AdGuard blocks them?
Adguard and others do only block the critical things which are tracking. If they would block anything you wouldn't be able to use the apps.

Reactions: xyz369

xyz369

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
All these Google, Facebook analyzers collect only data about the use of the app, and identify the user through a temporary random number that is stored in cookies. There is no personal information such as name and phone number, email, etc. And if it does, it will be contrary to the policy and you can sue them, they are very wary of this and therefore they are afraid to save any personal information.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I have started to use the App Privacy Report as a guideline which domains to block manually in Lockdown. Not sure this really works but have not received any errors in the apps so far.

Any other ideas how we could keep using apps with limited tracking?

missyagogo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2016
There is no reason for any Apple app to need my contacts so frequently. Example: yesterday I did not access calendar and it was not open, yet it accessed my contacts multiple times during a 24-hour period.

On the other hand, the Facebook app is only accessing itself and one tracker, inappcheck.iTunes.apple.com. Then again, Facebook places trackers all over the internet.

Badly behaved on iPad:

The Washington Post app. 218 total trackers, with each of these trackers contacting domains multiple times.

Weber Grills app: 121 trackers

Weather Radar (Impala Studios): 49 trackers

Reddit: 38 trackers

AccuWeather: 38 trackers

TripAdvisor: 30 trackers

Houzz: 29 trackers

IMDB: 27 trackers

Twitter: 17 trackers, but they have so many persistent tentacles in other websites and apps; one of the more insidious

Badly behaved on iPhone:

Google News: 778

Flipboard: 102

Amazon: 69

Twitter: 57

UPS: 47, including badly behaved trackers like doubleclick, google, facebook, etc.

SleepWatch: 33 including facebook, app-measurement, etc.

Chase: 33 including google

Shop: 32

AppAdvice: 30

Each tracker contacts its domain multiple times, not just one. therefore, the problem is significantly worse than the number of total trackers.

Relatively well-behaved apps:

Duolingo - 1 tracker

Last edited:

zoziw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2006
Canada
Is anyone else noticing apps no longer showing in the App Privacy Report?

Reddit
Twitter
Facebook
NYTimes
Washington Post

Oddly, Instagram still shows up as do many other apps.

I installed Lockdown and it showed those missing apps were still communicating to first and third parties.

Reactions: hxlover904

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Is anyone else noticing apps no longer showing in the App Privacy Report?

Reddit
Twitter
Facebook
NYTimes
Washington Post

Oddly, Instagram still shows up as do many other apps.

I installed Lockdown and it showed those missing apps were still communicating to first and third parties.
Nope, my twitter is still on the list. Dont use the other apps on your list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.